Messiah - So cool I can't Handel it!

This weekend the choir and orchestra held two concerts of Handel's Messiah and as first year (I feel like I'm going to Hogwarts) I was able to participate. Let me just say what this experience was like in three words... A-MAZ-ING. So that was actually one word with three syllables. I don't know what it is about this music but seriously, I think you gain IQ points just by listening to it. I have loved every single part of it.

It was amazing and I'm so grateful to have been able to sing that glorious work with such an amazing group of people and under the even more amazing direction of Mack Wilberg.

I sang on Friday night which was recorded and is currently streaming on youtube until tomorrow evening. I'm sad about that but I'm glad I could see the performance because when you are singing it is a different experience all together. (Actually someone ripped it and reposted it so it is still available. Here is the link.)


I have loved learning this music. I have sung a few of the pieces at Christmas throughout my life but I have never had the opportunity to sing the whole thing all the way through. Handel was truly inspired and he continues to inspire all of us. I know I have been changed by this experience and by the music.

We have a recording to still do in May of this music for a CD release next year. I'm so excited to be a part of this recording. My voice, joined with others, to be recorded for the ages. How amazing is that?

I was glad Ileina could come and see it. We went to lunch earlier that day and I talked to her about Messiah and explained what it was and what to expect. We talked about it being scripture put to music. We also talked about this Easter season and about the life of Christ. I enjoyed spending time with her talking about these things over a bowl of pasta. She came to the concert and surprisingly was fine throughout the whole thing. She loved the song "For Unto Us a Child is Born". 

This amazing experience just keeps getting more and more... what is the word? Amazing? Wonderful? I don't know but things are also very unpredictable which makes things even more exciting. I'm so blessed to be a part of this.

What has been really fun is to see responses and posts about it online. I'm glad people use hashtags. #Motab Here are a few of my favorite. Enjoy.




I liked this one because of the comment that it was "light and more peppy". I'm sure Brother Wilberg would be happy to hear this since this is Baroque and meant to be sung with fewer singers (Like less than a quarter of the choir) and is to be sung in that style.


I'll probably do this too for Christmas once the CD comes out. 

This last one was surprising. Who would have thought we would be singing praises in a Taco Bell. So random.

Thanks Internet for letting me take a glimpse of how we are being received. 

Popular Posts