Craig Jessop, the wink and the fly

Choir members who attended Utah State. Now we need to go to Hawaii. Yes!

This week we did what Mack calls, "Heavy Lifting." Yesterday the choir performed two concerts in Logan, Utah on the campus of Utah State University to celebrate the first year of the newly remodeled Daines Concert Hall. We went there by invitation of Craig Jessop, the former conductor of the choir.

This was a long choir day. Here was the schedule.
  • I woke up around 5:30 am to get ready and do some final things at home before leaving to the Conference Center. 
  • The buses left the Conference Center at around 7:30.
  • We arrived at the performance space around 9:00 am.
  • We then rehearsed from 9:30 am until around noon.
  • We had a lunch break on campus and a little bit of free time (but not much).
  • The matinee concert started at 2:00 pm until around 3:45 pm.
  • Dinner was served around 5:00 pm.
  • Another concert at 7:00 pm.
  • We changed, loaded buses and returned to the Conference Center around 11:15 pm.
  • I arrived home around midnight.

Only to come back to the Tabernacle at 8:00 am today for the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast.
The newly remodeled Daines Concert Hall is enjoying it's first year of performances. You can see the organ pipes to the right of the stage. This space was made specifically for choral, orchestral and classical musical performances.

It was a wonderful day and I'm so glad I could participate.

On my way up to Logan, I sat by Dave Faires, a trumpet player from the orchestra and we had a wonderful conversation about music, his career teaching, future plans and playing the orchestra. Because I play trumpet as well, it was an easy conversation. Dave and I first officially met on tour in San Francisco after the Giants game. We had a great conversation about how the Lord leads us into certain situations and that regardless of what we hope, everything works out in the end.


Craig Jessop and the wink

I have always heard of the wonderful Craig Jessop, but today was the first time to be conducted by him. Music just flows from him when he conducts. He also seems to draw out emotions from those he conducts. It felt like being on a roller coaster at times. He ebbed and flowed with what he wanted and expected you to follow along. It was mesmerizing to watch him and to follow
Although during one moment during "Climb Every Mountain," he looked up in my direction and winked at me. Yes, winked. It threw me off. Out of instinct, I winked back. Yes... I winked back. Makes me cringe and laugh to think I winked back at him while he was conducting us. Afterward, I learned from other choir members that he conducts that way. He makes eye contact and winks at times. It had an interesting effect on me though. It was as if Brother Jessop was saying,

"I see you. I acknowledge you. You are important to me."

It really touched me to my core. It is definitely a moment I won't ever forget.

Seeing Mack interact with Craig was pretty amazing. There are only a handful of people who understand and have experience conducting the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and so it is understandable that they share a special bond. It was evident when Mack was introducing Craig. You could tell there such mutual love and respect between them. Mack said, "If it wasn't for Craig, I wouldn't be here. He brought me along... even though I was kicking and screaming along the way." It made us all laugh. Craig returned the compliment saying, "Well, if there is one thing I can be proud of, it is that I brought Mack Wilberg to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir." Such a camaraderie between them. Ah, to have a true friend.
These are the only living men to know what it is really like to direct and conduct the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They know the challenges, trials, joys and blessings of carrying on a tradition and reinventing the choir for future generations. During their combined time, they have transformed everything about the choir from the sound to the way it operates. No wonder there is such a strong friendship among them.

These performances were especially meaningful to me because I was able to sit with my good friend, Paul for the last time.
Paul McGuire, Luke Howard and me before the final concert. So glad to be sitting with these great men. 

Paul left the choir because he was called to be a bishop about two weeks ago. He was given permission to perform this last concert (why not, he knows all the music) as a final farewell. Paul stated that he joined the choir under Craig Jessop so it was a blessing to end his choir experience being led again by him. Bookends for his experience. A tender mercy. God is definitely in the details.
Performing in the Daines Concert Hall at Utah State University.

We ended both concerts singing the Utah State University fight song (along with arm motions) "The Scotsman." It was a wonderful way to end the concert and the audience loved it. I wish I had a video of it, though. It was pretty awesome.

Craig Jessop thanked everyone involved in bringing the choir back to Logan. Here is an interesting tidbit; the choir first visited Logan back in 1955. At that time, each choir member was given 21 tickets to the concert in the area. They had to sell all their tickets, or buy them. The proceeds were used on their European Tour. Interesting history information. I'm glad I don't have to sell tickets. I don't know that many people in that area.

Meeting a viewer

I had one weird experience while I was there in-between performances. I was sitting on a chair in the hall when an older gentleman came over and extended his hand to me. I reached up and shook his hand. He leaned in and said, "I see you every Sunday. I recognize your face and it's nice to meet you." I wasn't sure how to respond so I said, "Oh, thanks. But are you sure it's me or is it the other dark guy?" He laughed. I'm always joking around. Especially if I feel uncomfortable. We had a good visit and I learned that he watches the broadcast every week. He loved the concert. He shared how different it is to hear the choir live. I invited him to come to a live broadcast and he said if he can get one of this kids to go with him, he will. I thanked him for approaching me and we shook hands again and said our good-byes. I must have a friendly face.

You just never know who is watching and what they remember but I was grateful to make a connection.
Me, Ryan Bateman and Ryan Pitt. Erm, I think I should change my name to Ryan so this could be a Ryan picture. LOL. Great men. I'm so grateful I get to serve with them.

I had a great discussion with so many choir friends during the day. I rode back on the bus with my good friend, Darrin. We talked the entire way home. Such a wonderful person and very insightful about life, faith and our roles in doing good in the world.
Me and my friend Bret with a sign advertising the concert outside the hall. It was a beautiful day.

There were these beautiful woven wood sculptures on campus. People loved to get pictures.

This was an amazing structure. Woven branches and it smelled like a clean forest.

Upon arriving home I went to sleep and woke up for the MSW broadcast. We were tired but we were doing what Mack calls, "Heavy Lifting." That means we are doing the things that are hard about being in the choir. What makes it hard is that performing takes energy. The focus required and the ability to adjust depending on what is needed. It is mentally exhausting. Not to mention standing still for hours. We stood on Saturday for around 6 hours. Standing is not hard if you can move around a bit but standing still... that can be torture for your feet. It is definitely not for the faint of heart.

The fly

It helped that the broadcast had some of my favorite pieces we sing. At the end of the broadcast, we stand and sing "God Be With You" and before the song started I felt this fly, buzzing around my head. I felt it on my head and then on my ear. Throughout the song, it was walking around my neck, would buzz to my ear, walk around, and it would not go away. It was distracting. And yet, I remembered what Mack said about making unnecessary movements in the loft and how it pulls everyone's attention away so like a good soldier, I stood there and let it happen for the entire song. It felt like we were singing "God Be With You" in slow motion. I wanted to swat that fly so bad or chase it away but I refrained and instead focused on one woman sitting halfway back in the audience. She was wiping tears from her eyes. I focused on her and in my mind, I winked at her, like Craig had done the day before, just to say, "I see you. I acknowledge you. You are important to me." It magically worked. After the song, some of the other basses mentioned they were bothered by the same fly. They also said they could see it flying around my head and mentioned I had nerves of steel to keep my composure.

Nah... it was all part of the heavy lifting. ;)










Popular Posts