Always Time to Reach Out

I took this picture after the broadcast on Sunday. I was the last one to leave the loft and was just soaking in the Tabernacle when I noticed something outside of the window.


What you don't know about this post:
  • I was watching this for a while just soaking in their interaction.
  • Ryan Murphy has been in charge this week. Mack Wilberg has been gone so Ryan has been working on broadcast music with the orchestra and choir. He was running the show this week.
  • This exchange lasted for a while.
  • There was some animated talking between them as I saw Ryan waving the conducting baton while talking. The woman clapped her hands as well.
  • It took me a while to decide whether I should take a picture. I then had to look for my camera. They were still talking when I finally pulled my camera out of my bag. 
  • I watched until they shook hands and Ryan walked back into the Tabernacle.  
  • There was filming going on all week in the Tabernacle which I'm sure makes things even more busy.
I left the Tabernacle thinking about whether or not I should post this. It was such a sweet image and I thought that perhaps others would be as touched as I was. I had no idea how much people would respond to this post. Choir members were sharing it on their own timelines and leaving comments. I guess everyone felt what I did when I witnessed it.

I was touched mainly because I can only imagine how busy Ryan was during the entire week and especially earlier that day. He has things to do, places to go. After a broadcast you would be surprised to see how quickly everyone leaves the loft to go on to their other Sunday duties. Sometimes it is a mad dash.

This speaks to the character of Ryan Murphy as I know him. I do not know him personally but in my interactions with him during Chorale and during choir related functions I have watched and observed. He is quick to observe, quick to respond and has a true gift to be present. Not a lot of people that I know are able to truly be present but he is one of them. It's a gift and one that I want to be able to develop. Away from the lights and cameras this is Ryan Murphy. Kind, friendly, encouraging and reaching out to people.

My only regret is that I did not ask Ryan if it would be "ok" to post this.  Believe it or not, I don't post everything. Some things are just too personal. He doesn't know I posted this. Perhaps he does not want people to know how awesome he is. Perhaps it was a private moment. I should have asked.

Yet, like I said before, the response to this post has been very positive. Uplifting comments from people who now have a better sense of the conductors and the choir as a whole. Especially from non-member choir friends I made at ACDA this year. It has brought about a lot of good.

I used the #IAlwaysFeelLikeSomebodysWatchingMe because a few weeks ago Mack Wilberg mentioned during rehearsal that we are always being watched and Ryan started singing this song at which point Mack Wilberg turned and looked at him and we all laughed.

I'm now posting it here because this is a lesson I want to always remember.

No matter how busy we are, there is always time to reach out.

Popular Posts