President Packer Funeral

One more chair is empty. The work continues on. I sat in the loft thinking of the miraculous life of this wonderful man and I know he is surely happy and healthy beyond the veil.
While we were at Yankee Stadium we received word that Elder Boyd K. Packer passed away. I remember the moment well. We were standing, waiting to go on the field and someone found out through social media and shared the information.

I felt somber after learning of his passing and also thought that we may be asked as a choir to sing at his funeral.

Word was received during tour that we were asked to sing but we did not know what songs.

During our last Boston rehearsal we were sitting in the loft and specific people were asked to come down out of the stands. No one knew why but we later learned that Mack Wilberg was auditioning them for one of the musical numbers that was a favorite of President Packer entitled, "Does the Journey Seem Long."

After arriving home from tour we still held our Thursday night rehearsal and we began practicing the music for the funeral. There is very little time to practice music which is why there is so much music knowledge expected during the audition process.

He requested 3 songs to be sung. 1) Come Unto Him, 2) The Wintry Day Descending to it's Close and 3) Does the Journey Seem Long.
I was one of the two first choir members to enter the Tabernacle for the funeral services and we were immediately greeted with the aroma of these beautiful flowers all around the loft. It smelled heavenly.
I feel honored to have been able to participate in President Packer's funeral. He was a dear friend of my grandpa's. My grandpa would talk about him but never thought anything of it because he lived in Tonga all his life and President Packer lived in Utah. Little did I know they were really good friends.

I compiled pictures and my grandfather's journal entries about the building of the Tonga Temple. I created a book. I gave a copy to my family and one to Elder Groberg. I then received word that President Packer was interested in getting a copy. We made arrangements to drop the book off at the Administration Building. When we arrived we were asked up to President Packer's office.

He was very gracious and polite. He asked to see the book and when he saw my grandfather's picture he said, "There is my good friend. I miss him." I still remember that as it caught me off guard. President Packer looked through the book and mentioned my grandmother by name as well. Our conversation was surreal and I remember a few things that I will keep personal. It was a neat meeting. He was very funny with Ileina. During our meeting Elder Ballard came in and we also got to meet him as well.

In reviewing my grandfather's journal entries I found that Elder Packer was present in the the First Presidency's office when my grandfather and a few other church leaders were first told there would be a Temple built in Tonga. There are references of their interactions throughout the years as well.

The last time my grandfather and Elder Packer saw each other was in Tonga. He was visiting the islands. They were both old men. While visiting he asked the leaders where President Paletu'a lived and he went to visit him. They visited in his home for a few hours and my grandmother made him something to eat.
I took this picture before the services and shared it on social media. I'm so grateful for the chance to be here.
The funeral was beautiful. The messages shared were touching. In looking out to his posterity I noticed a young man just crying and it touched me. He was wiping tears throughout the funeral service and I watched him leave the Tabernacle wondering about who he is and his relationship with President Packer. Luckily I felt at peace knowing they can all be together again someday.

The gospel connects us all in different ways across the world.

As I participate in the funeral services for Elder Packer I felt grateful that I could, in some small way, represent my family and the love my grandfather had for him in saying goodbye.

I'm grateful choir allows me opportunities like this to serve.


Popular Posts