Memo to Self: When You Retire


I watched the new recruits come into the Tabernacle this week. I have seen this rotation of new members coming in and older members retiring for the past two years. It's exciting and sad. It is especially sad to see friends leave.

If you don't know there is a retirement policy in the choir. You have to be older than 25 years old to join. You must retire after 20 years of service or when you turn 60 years old, whichever comes first. The policy was introduced by Motab Director Jerold Ottley. When the policy was put in place some members retired having just over 52 years of choir service. That's a long time to be in the choir. Wow.

I'm on the front end of this experience. Some are at the end. I'm writing this post largely as a memo to my future self when the time comes for me to retire. Something from my younger choir self to my future retiring self. I'm addressing some of the trials I have seen retiring members go through in hopes I can learn from it.

To my older self,

I hope you had a great time. I hope you enjoyed every moment and embraced every opportunity. As you retire it may be hard. I have noticed others who retire have a difficult time with it. Of course it is hard. This is an amazing experience. Still, from a new member perspective I want you to keep the following three things in mind as you move to the next phase of life after choir.

First, under the older retirement policy, members of the choir could stay in the choir until they passed away. If we were under the old policy 98% of us currently in the choir would not even have this experience. We would have to wait until someone passed away before we could even try out and then we would all compete for that one spot. The reality is that this policy allowed all of us to join when we did and gave us all a higher probability that we would get in. Be grateful for that change. It allowed you to get in.
This retirement policy is in place to allow as many people as possible to have this experience. So far, I have been in for two years. I have had so many experiences in just two years. Enough for a lifetime. Allow someone else the chance to have these amazing experiences. Allow them to be blessed the way you have been blessed. Be grateful you had the chance for as long as you did.

Second,  most callings in the church are temporary. Why should choir be any different? The only lifetime callings that I know of are the Apostles and the Prophet and while I aspire to their lofty realms I do not think choir membership is equal to that.

Third, the blessing of choir membership is exactly that, membership in choir. Service doesn't look for payment. Love doesn't require compensation. The choir does not owe you anything. The benefit of choir membership is just being a member and being able to participate. Be grateful for the opportunity.

My final note to myself: There is a time and a season for all things. Your time in choir is ending. You knew that when you joined so accept it when it is time to go. I hope you enjoyed every moment. I also hope that you also know there is a young man waiting to fill your seat. He doesn't know what is in store for him but (as you know) he is in for the ride of his life. Be happy for him.

Oh and one more thing, I hope you're not eating Tums like candy. If you are, please stop and get some help. ;)

All my best,

Your younger, awesome self (B-106)








Popular Posts