2016 European Tour - Thoughts

Barry Anderson shared these words with the choir during our last meal together in Paris. Barry is in charge of the tour and he talked about how his focus was always on being sure the music was the focus of tour and that we could perform our best at every performance. The words stuck with me. He did what he planned to do. He really planned a tour that allowed us to be present and rested to share the message and power of the music. 

I have a million pictures of the amazing places we visited and things I saw while in Europe. It was an amazing experience. I hope to return someday. Yet, it all pales in comparison to the music that we shared and the emotional connection I felt with the people during each concert. That is the highlight of the trip for me.

The music and my ability to perform came first. Based on the last years tour I knew that I had to take extra care of myself everyday. It wasn't easy. There were a million things to see, eat and enjoy but I took all of it in moderation in order to be sure that I could do what I was sent there to do. I'm so glad that I did. I had a wonderful time and was well rested for each concert. In return I feel the Lord provided me with personal insights that really helped me grow as a person.

Let me list some of my impressions and promptings from each of the concerts.

Berlin, Germany
Philharmonie Hall
The feeling, emotion and response to the music from the audience was spectacular. We were forewarned that European audiences were different than American audiences. European audiences would clap but would rarely yell or shout after a concert. If they approved of the performance most European audiences would clap at the end of the concert in unison to show they wanted an encore. Going into this concert I could feel the difference in the audience simply by the way they behaved. They were more quiet and reverent, even before the concert began. They sat at attention. They also sat forward in their seats. It was interesting. I was surprised and delighted to hear not only clapping in unison but yelling and shouting by the end of the concert. They showed their enthusiasm for the music much the way I feel when performing it. Something stirs inside of me. After singing the Battle of Jericho there was an audible "Whoa!" shouted from an audience member. I talked to Janeene, a flutist in the orchestra and she said she had never heard "Jericho" sound that way since she has joined the choir. This was the perfect place to begin tour as it set a precedence for the remaining places we would visit. I offered my own silent prayer before we performed that what I feel when I perform this music would be felt by the audience and I believe my prayers were answered.



Neuremberg, Germany
Meistersingerhalle
July 1

I did not know much about this place and area before arriving but during a break I was able to walk around and read memorials adjacent to the concert hall. Nuremberg has been around since it was first mentioned in records around 1050 AD. More recently it is known for its significance during World War II where the Nazi party chose it as it's main center. Nazi party rallies were held less than 100 feet from the concert hall. I learned as much as I could about this location and what I realized was just how amazingly resilient the German people are. They have a varied history. When singing this evening I centered my thoughts on the message of unity. During the rehearsal I sat by and visiting singer. He was a professional singer with many years of experience. As I listened to him sing I felt a great love for him and for this place. I was moved during the singing of the hymns, especially "The Spirit of God" as I pondered the refinement that can happen in the refiners fire. Nuremberg will hold a special place in my heart forever because I felt as though the concepts of struggle, growth and restitution (all aspects of our personal progression back to Heavenly Father) were made more clear because of this place and the people.


Vienna, Austria
Musikverein
July 3
I was most excited to participate in a concert in this space. One of the most reknowned concert halls in the world. My impression, during our rehearsal in the space, was awe. The sound in the space, even though I was clear in the back, was amazing. I could hear the women singing as though they were singing right by me. The sound was ethereal in moments when we sang the first portion of our program.
I had one of the most unique experiences while singing here. Because I was located in the back, upper balcony, it was difficult to see the conductor. The size of the space was not made for choirs as large as ours so we had to adjust. I could not see the conductor for most of the concert. Luckily those choir members in front of us would conduct us. Particularly, Eric Schlacter, a baritone. He had one arm behind him and was conducting. The nuances in his conducting were very clear and it was as if I was watching the conductor. It required some very strict focus to participate this way but it also allowed me to really hear the music in a way I had never heard before. It was glorious. While we sang God Be With You I could see tears flowing from the eyes of so many of the audience members.
We learned that proceeds from this concert were going to given to a charity in the city. All in all, it is an experience I will never forget for as long as I live. Just writing this fills my soul with gratitude and joy that I was able to have this experience.
I have a life goal to return to this city and to spend a few days here. I hope to do that soon.


Zurich, Switzerland
Hallenstadion
July 6


This was an extremely long day for the choir. We set out from Munich in the morning, arrived in the afternoon, rehearsed, had dinner, performed and loaded the buses and returned to Munich (driving through the evening) in the early morning of July 7.
During rehearsal Ryan talked to us about the acoustics and adjusting to the space. He asked for some specific changes in the way we sang. What I enjoyed about this exchange is the willingness of everyone to comply to what was being asked. He asked for softer singing in some areas for the men. He asked us to execute things in a specific way for some songs. To have so many people adjust made me happy.
Before and after the performance I was able to meet people from the audience. This was a treat for me. I learned that one family had traveled a couple of hours to attend the concert. They brought their children as it would be impossible for them to come to Utah. Both parents had traveled to Utah but their children had not. They wanted their children to feel a connection to the choir and to the church. It made me think about my grandparents who left Tonga to move to Salt Lake City to be close to the church and the Prophet. I left Switzerland feeling grateful for the blessing of living in a place close to the church and with so many temples. I hope to never forget this.


Frankfurt, Germany
Jahrhunderthalle
July 9



Frankfurt is the home of Sonja Poulsen, one of the Altos in the choir so performing here was a real treat for us and obviously for the people of the wonderful city. Their response was great to the musical selection. It was sold out and the energy of the room was palpable. It was as though they were super excited to hear us sing. I was talking to Dennis, my friend, before the concert began and told him that it felt and looked like a Stake Conference. I saw families, children, parents, dressed up in what looked like Sunday clothing.
I was especially moved during the song "Come, Come Ye Saints" during the concert. The lyrics and emotion of the musical arrangement was powerful to me. It occurred to me that it was a anthem for all saints to move forward toward Zion. The last verse begins, "And should we die before our journey's through" and it was particularly powerful that night. I could feel a connection being made between me and the people who attended that night. We are all moving toward a common goal to a spiritual Zion and our work and cause felt united to me. It was an amazing feeling.
We were in Frankfurt for a few days and held Sacrament meeting in the hotel ballroom and later that day I participated in a Stake Fireside. It was a blessing to meet all the members and interact with them on a personal level. During the fireside I met a young missionary from Utah. We talked and then I took a picture with him and texted it to his parents. They responded with such joy at receiving the text and seeing their son doing well. The fireside was a true highlight as it only had about 30 choir members participating in the program.

By now the tour lifestyle had become a way of life for me and things were going smoothly. Performing in this place was absolutely fun.




Brussels, Belgium
Bozar Centre for Fine Arts
July 11


As we entered the city I felt some unease. I wasn't sure what it was but this city and this place did not feel like the other places we had been. For me, there seemed to be some tension in the air. I mentioned it other people and some agreed that it felt different for some reason although we could not figure out why. I felt this way throughout the day while we rehearsed and during dinner but everything changed during the concert.
Of all the places we performed this concert, for me, was perhaps the most personal. I felt as though the message of the music was meant to heal souls. I felt my own soul being healed, particularly during Pilgrim's Song. By the end of the concert I felt hope. I felt happy.
I ran into a young man waiting by the bathrooms. We began to talk and he said he really enjoyed the concert. I thanked him. He said he was glad he came even though he wasn't going to come. I told him it was a blessing to be there. His grandmother (I assume) came out of the women's bathroom and was walking toward us. I'm fairly friendly so I waved "hello" to her and she waved back. Then as she came closer she looked at me and asked her grandson, "Do I know him?" and he said, "No. He was just being friendly and saying hello." She stopped right in front of me and looked into my eyes. She then put her hand on my knee (I was sitting on a platform) and then put her other hand on my face and said, "Oh, you sang. Thank you for coming. I know you." Then I said goodbye and they walked away. I'm not sure what that was about but my impressions upon leaving Brussels was of pondering the love Heavenly Father has for all of us and how we may not know each other, but the music helps us connect.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands



Our final concert. The hall is a beautiful place. We audience was very enthusiastic as they cheered, talked, said things like, "I love you!" during the concert. It was a wonderful night of music and sharing. The air during this time was electric and unlike we were forewarned, there was hooping and hollering from the crowd. It was touching to be there.
Liana shared an experience with me about this concert. She said that at the end of the concert Lloyd Newell was talking about the choir and being in Salt Lake City, Utah. She heard an audience member close to her say, "You are our choir too!" It was very sweet.

 There really is so much to write but it's hard when there is so limited time.

I again want to reiterate Barry Anderson's words. "Everything is ancillary but the music." This is absolutely true. These are my thoughts and impressions on each of the concerts and how the music touched others but more specifically how it healed me.

There are no words to describe just how grateful I am to have had this experience. It has changed my life. Thanks be to God.


Popular Posts