Africa, Choir and Lullaby

How was I to know the I would still talk about and listen to the choir in Africa? To be completely honest the music of the choir is the soundtrack of my entire trip to Africa.

I had a chance to go as part of the Aftercare team with Operation Underground Railroad to Africa. It was an amazing experience to be there. They rescue children who are kidnapped or sold into sex slavery or slavery around the world. My role was to go as a Mental Health professional and to provide training to the agencies and the professionals working with these children AFTER they have been physically rescued. It is a long road ahead for them.

Funny experience

While working in a group home for girls the team was painting rooms. We were listening to music and the topic of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir came up. Doug, one of the team members, said he loves the Choir and how uplifting the music is to him and his family. He said he and his family were listening to the Choir during his vacation to Yellowstone just the week before. Doug is an Osmond as in the son of Alan Osmond. He was a performer as a child as well so he loves music. Anyway, he asked Jake (the cameraman) if he liked the choir and he said "yes" too. He then asked me if I liked the choir. I didn't know how to answer it. Hahaha. Seriously, do I say, "Yeah, I love myself." So, listening in on the conversation was Jessica (she's not LDS) said, "Well, of course he does because he's a member of the choir!" Silence. Then questions and surprise and I had to admit it. Anyway, it was great to hear about how the music of the choir is influential to people like that.

Music and Africa

During this trip I saw and worked in some of the most emotionally difficult situations. Everyday, after returning home, I would drop into my bed and fall asleep. It was exhausting. The one thing I used to help prepare me was to listen to music and I found the most comfort in the music of the choir. I would listen to music on my way to each location in the morning and in a way it was my devotional. It was my comfort.

It's interesting how music transports us. While listening to music on our drives to sometimes remote places I felt comforted like I often do in the choir loft. I felt supported. I felt calm. I felt God's love for all his children.

While driving to center with very young children Ryan Murphy's beautiful piece called Lullaby started to play. I listened to it multiple times on the way. During our day we were able to take a hike to a mountain top.
Christians have since dedicated the mountain top to Christianity and have erected a cross.
The view from the top of Prayer Mountain.

The mountain top was used by witch doctors to sacrifice children but has recently been converted by the Christians to something they call "Prayer Mountain." We stood there for a while and in the quiet of the day I felt the breeze on my face. I thought of all the children who lost their lives on this very spot due to ignorance and the lack of knowledge and light.  It wasn't lost on me how now it has transformed from an unsacred place to a sacred place and dedicated to God. 

The music of Lullaby came to me in such a soft and gentle way. I heard the melody as if it echoed in the air. 

Our group gathered in a circle. We sang songs and said prayers for the people of the country and especially for the children. I will never forget this experience for the rest of my life and the song Lullaby will forever be etched in my heart with this place.

I have since listened to Lullaby and I can't get through it without getting emotional. It's a beautiful piece. Watch it here.



What's interesting is that now certain songs transport me back to Africa. In many ways I'm grateful because now the music has deeper meaning to me. The following songs particularly transport me back to what we did and what we accomplished with the people of Africa.
  • One Person
  • Hold On
  • Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
  • Let Peace Then Still the Strife
  • Lullaby
  • Oh Light Of Light
  • Brother James Air
Anyway, I went to Africa and did not know just how much comfort and joy the choir would give me while working so far away from home.

How is this my life? I do not know but I am so grateful.

Popular Posts