Shenandoah and my friend, Rick


On Thursday night during rehearsal, I was happy to see the song Shenandoah on our schedule for the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast on Sunday morning. In addition to being a beautiful piece, I was reminded of how music can transport us back in the time or to another place.



There is a lyric in the song that goes, "Tis seven long years, since last, I saw you. Away, across the wide Missouri."

Well, one thing led to another and my mind started making random connections until I came to a conclusion that had me fairly emotional for the rest of the evening.

I remembered being in Missouri a few years ago. One night during my trip I received a phone call from one of my good friends, Rick. Rick called to tell me he had been diagnosed with cancer. The prognosis was not good and the physicians told him he would have only a few months left to live. It was devastating news. I was in Missouri visiting church history sites and every site had me reflecting on mortality, friendship, and death. It was a sobering trip.

As soon as returned I went to visit Rick where we shared a hug, talked and cried together. Over the next few months we would visit, share and learn more about life and death together.
Rick and I a few months before he passed away. Even confronting death he faced it with dignity and grace.

Near the end of Rick's life, he asked me to speak at his funeral. I was not prepared to do that. Rick made friends easily and had a long list of friends but he asked me so I agreed. I wrote my remarks after weeks of pondering. I sent them to him a few weeks later. He read it and send me a two sentence response I will never forget. It was all I needed and I was so grateful I had the chance to say everything I wanted to my dear friend in person.

Rick passed away a month later.

That was seven years ago. Seven long years. I do long to see him again. To laugh and talk and visit.

One song brought all of this back to me and the feelings of loss were just as raw as they were the day I said goodbye to him the last time we talked and we knew we would not see each other again.

My choir experience is constantly having me look forward to the next event, next project, next concert and yet music pulls me back into the past. It allows me the best of all worlds I guess and more appreciative of what is happening in my life in the present.

I will sing this song and think of Rick the entire time.

Popular Posts