Don't Cry for me Argentina

Inside the Ateneo Bookstore in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Right after General Conference, I headed to Buenos Aires, Argentina. My nephew is on the U.S.A. Jr. Olympic Rugby team and the youth Olympic games were being held in Argentina. I felt blessed to go and support him. What I wasn't expecting was how the choir (and it's influence) was going to be such a big part of the trip. It was odd and yet, spectacular.

Argentina is special to me. I served my mission in Argentina. In Salta, Argentina. It is the northernmost part of Argentina and I was not able to go visit there during this trip but I do plan to return when the Temple in Salta is dedicated in a few years.

When I first arrived in Argentina I had a driver meet me at the airport. I felt like a rock star as I entered the baggage area and noticed a gentleman holding a sign with my name on it. He drove me directly to my hotel. We talked in the car (Castellano) and I was surprised at how easy it was to slide right back into speaking the language. The melodic way Argentines speak is something I have missed and to hear it flow so freely made me feel at home.

Near the airport is the Buenos Aires Temple. You can see it on the side of the road. As we passed by I said, "Hey, there is the temple!" to which my driver said, "Sos Mormon?" (Are you Mormon?). My response was automatic. On Sunday night after General Conference, I role-played with Ileina how to respond to questions of whether or not she is Mormon based on what President Nelson taught. We practiced saying, "If you are asking me if I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, then yes! I am." It just rolled off my tongue in Spanish as if it was a natural response and I found amused by my response. He responded by asking what that meant and if that meant I was a Mormon and we ended up talking about the gospel. Once I arrived at my hotel, I realized just how easy it was to return to being a missionary in Argentina.

Well, I had different opportunities to share the gospel. Yes, even in Argentina when someone says, "I'm coming from Utah." the response was large, "So, are you Mormon?" Hahaha. I mostly had opportunities to share the gospel with cab drivers. It was fun.

I'll only share two experiences where the choir connection was a comfort to me throughout the trip.

Ateneo Bookstore


I went to the world famous Ateneo Bookstore in Buenos Aires. It is a bookstore that was once a theater. I went in looking for a book about Argentine Classical Composer, Alberto Ginastera. I learned that in Buenos Aires, he is a celebrated composer. A few years ago they held a celebration of his music in the Teatro Colon, a world famous opera house. While I was in the bookstore I found out they were selling music upstairs and I went above and while perusing, I noticed they had CD's from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (now the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square). It hit me emotionally. It was a touching connection to home while I was so far away. I felt comforted and blessed. I shared this video with other choir members once I returned.



Here are some more pictures of this amazingly beautiful bookstore.

The stage is converted to a little cafe area with a grand piano. A nice way to read a book, have a drink and enjoy some time in this space. The balconies right by the stage are reading areas with comfortable chairs that overlook the bookstore. It's a really amazing place.

The ceiling. I'm sure at one time there was an ornate chandelier hanging here. As I looked at all the paintings on the ceiling I wondered why we don't continue to build beautiful spaces like this in the United States. Things like this are inspiring and a perfect place to hold the written word.


When I saw these CD's I was comforted. The majority of the music here largely Spanish. I found a CD of Rolando Villazon here but also artists from Argentina. Very rare to find any music from English artists in this space except at the front with Rock legends. 

On the balcony of the Ateneo.

La Boheme and the Teatro Colon

Later in the week, I went to see an opera in Teatro Colon, one of the world's best opera houses. My timing in Buenos Aires was perfect. During my visit, I would be able to attend a performance of "La Boheme" in this amazing space. I was really excited. They provide tours of this building during the day and it was neat to learn more about this amazing space. If you want to tour, be sure to arrive early as it fills up quickly. 

I was very excited to hear music in this space. It may sound strange but I was most excited just to hear music in this space. I know if the choir ever visited South America, this would probably be one of the places we would perform. 

I had a choir connection here and a chance to talk about the church and gospel. It was unexpected and yet it happened so easily that it seemed like it was meant to be. Conversation flowed easily and it was a natural connection with strangers.

First, take a look at these pictures.


The company of La Boheme 2018.

This place is a temple to performance. It is such a beautiful space. Taken from the stage area looking out at the audience. Look at the ceiling.

The program. I gave the usher more money as a tip than I should have but I was caught up in the moment of this spectacular space.

Some of the ornamentations made me think of the Musikverein in Vienna for obvious reasons. Of course, they say it is these decorations that provide the space with unique acoustic properties.

The culture and love of opera is strong in Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires is filled music and performance. The building just down the street from this theater holds tango shows. Argentine Tangos... that is something to behold.

I arrived early and noticed a line of people waiting to go inside and so I got in line. I noticed the people around me were dressed nicely which made me feel better about wearing a tie to the event. I was so excited to see an opera in this space but more importantly to hear music in the hall.

While standing in line I ended up talking to others in the line. There were Argentines and when I mentioned I was visiting from the United States they asked where I was from. I mentioned I was from Utah and a couple asked if I was "Mormon" to which I automatically responded the way Ileina and I had practiced. Then during the conversation the woman asked about the choir. She knew about the choir. In fact, another couple knew about the choir as well. I told them that I was a member of the choir and they were fascinated. They had a lot of questions and I mentioned that we actually performed a musical piece from Alberto Ginastera. They were shocked. They talked about a celebration of his music in the Teatro Colon a few years earlier.

The line finally moved forward and we entered into a lobby. The doorman was dressed in a red coat with white gloves. He looked at me curiously but I was talking with the others in line so we just walked in. The lobby was gorgeous. I took some pictures and noticed they had special programs on a table and everyone was dressed very nicely.

Someone came out with drinks. It was all very posh.

As we moved up the line to have our tickets scanned I marveled at how beautiful the building was and how this experience was going to be amazing.

I handed the usher my ticket. She was a young Argentine woman. I noticed that she spoek in English, French and Castellano. She smiled at me and took my ticket. Then she read my ticket and the smile faded.

Woman: Oh, dear. I'm sorry sir, but is this your ticket?
Me: Yes.
Woman: I'm sorry but you are in the wrong line.
Me: What?
Woman: Yes, you are in the wrong line.

Embarrassed I smiled and asked quietly where I should go. I had to just made friends with all these people and now I was told I didn't belong. LOL.

Woman: (In English and speaking loudly and slowly because people speak louder if they think they are not being understood.) YES. YOU ARE IN THE WRONG LINE. YOU NEED TO GO OUTSIDE AND GO TO THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING AND THERE IS DOOR THERE. YOU NEED TO GO THERE NOW.

Humiliated I grabbed my ticket, smiled at all my new friends and made my way out the door. Oops.

Then I went to the side of the building and noticed it was not as nice. It was mass people going in. No one seemed happy or smiling. Now I was overdressed.

I then went to my seat and noticed all my friends sitting on the main floor. I kept saying to myself, "Those people down there are my people. These people up here, they are not my people." Hahahaha. I laughed at it and realized that I was were I needed to be.

Anyway, I waved to my friends and they waved back.

The performance was amazing. AMAZING. It was fantastic. I was seriously blown away by the talent and the the soloist who sang "Che Gelida Manina" was so moving that people literally catcalled after he sang. I felt it too but I thought it was only me until he finished. People stood and applauded his performance. It's hard to describe but it was tender, soft and gentle. Many people view opera as something loud and boisterous, and it can be, but it can also be tender. The way he sang, the sound of his voice, in that space, was really touching. It's hard to describe but if you have not gone to an opera, you should go.

I share this experience here because it was amazing to connect with people again through the choir.

His performance of "Che Gelida Menina" was one of the most beautiful musical interpretations I have heard live. Stunning for everyone in attendance.

Ticket to the Opera. The space is so beautiful.

Inside the lobby of the Teatro Colon taking pictures and being a part of my new friend group that would soon no longer be my friend group. LOL.

Such a beautiful space. In the lobby.

Outside the Teatro Colon before the opera. You can see people in line over my left shoulder. I would cross the strett and go and stand in that line and make new friends.

Mack says, "Everything happens for a reason" and for me to stand in the wrong line and make connections with people was an opportunity to share the gospel and my love of music. To make friends so far away from home and to especially realize the reach of the choir is truly international.

Popular Posts