Surprising Connections

While going in to practice for the Easter recording I was walking through the tunnel (from the Conference Center to the Tabernacle). I saw this older gentleman walking slower up the ramp. I caught up with him and we started a brief conversation.

We talked about the choir and joining. I introduced myself. He introduced himself as Craig Decker. I looked at him closely and then asked him if he was a music teacher. To my surprise, he was. I immediately told him that I was one of his students at West Lake Jr. High.

He asked my last name and he remembered my family. We talked a bit about my family and his family. It was amazing.

I guess I should inform you that during Jr. High I played the trumpet in the band. I remember how odd Jr. High was. I had friends in elementary but we changed in Jr. High. We made new friends and did different things. It wasn't really "cool" to carry a trumpet case to and from school all the time but I did. I did it because I liked music and partly because my father expected me to. One thing I did no expect was to enjoy band and that was largely due to my teacher. Mr. Decker was an amazing teacher. He was young but he was patient with us. I continued to play in the band even in High School.

Who would think that as a Jr. High student I would sing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with my band teacher? I would have never guessed that in a million years.

Isn't it amazing just how small the world is?

This is a picture of me and my band teacher from Jr. High. His Name is Craig Decker. It was so great to see him.

Popular Posts