Experience This Live #1 Hymn of Praise


I believe there are songs that everyone should hear from the choir live. I'm going to list them on this blog from time to time. There are the standards like The Battle Hymn of the Republic but I want to focus on pieces that are less well known. This is the first piece.

This weeks broadcast includes a piece by Mack Wilberg and David Warner called Hymn of Praise.

It was written specifically for the re-dedication of the Tabernacle in 2007.

The piece has over 20 key changes yet it is fluid and inspiring. But seriously, over 20 key changes? Who does that? Apparently Mack Wilberg does. Who sings songs like that? Apparently the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

We practiced it last night in the Conference Center and to hear all the pieces of it live are pretty incredible and intimidating.

Seeing and hearing some things via High-def are great but let's be honest, some things sound more amazing live and this is one of those pieces. Especially since it allows all aspects of the organization to shine, especially the organ. If you want to hear orchestra, organ and choir all shine in their respective musical abilities this is a piece you should not miss.

The orchestra begins with an exciting beginning. The organ thunders (and I mean THUNDERS) in and then the choir joins in building on this momentum. It just builds and builds and every time the organ enters it just shakes my frame. It is so moving.

Singing this requires a sort of vocal and mental gymnastics. 20 key changes, a lot of words. I am positive our last few months focused on Messiah has really prepared us newbies to tackle this.

SEE THIS LIVE. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

I'm still pinching myself every I take my seat in the loft. Seriously. How in the world did I get here?


Popular Posts