What is it like? Mack Wilberg


What is it like to be conducted by Mack Wilberg?

I was asked this question and I thought I would respond on here.

Have you ever watched those movies where there is a sports coach that helps the team win the championship or a teacher that takes some tough kids who don't want to learn and they become scholars? Well, I feel like I'm in one of those movies and Mack Wilberg is the coach/teacher.

This is what I have been able to observe under his direction.
He is honest and straightforward. He is humble. He is practical. He is always doing his best and expects the same of us. He is super talented. I can tell everything he does is for the benefit of the organization. He is dedicated to his work. He has a lot of passion for what he does. For someone as talented and gifted as he is he surprisingly avoids the spotlight as much as possible.

Every rehearsal is a Master Class in music. I listen intently to his instructions. I pay very close attention to his feedback. I listen to what he says to every section, not just mine, and to the orchestra. Musically we are all connected so every feedback involves all of us. There is a lot of valuable information he shares and everything is meant to improve. I especially like it when we learn more history about some of the pieces we are singing. He know a lot of music history which isn't surprising.

If something is right, he will let us know. If something is wrong, he will let us know. I love that he is specific and clear on what he expects.

Someone asked me if I really knew him. Well, to be honest, in a choir organization as large as ours, getting to know people is a real challenge. I think there are over 600 of us. Every week we spend a few hours singing together. Getting to "know" everyone is impossible. I do get to know faces and names but who has time to socialize? Personally, I'd rather make beautiful music. We are still a family though and everyone is super kind and positive.

I do need to say this though. I do know Mack Wilberg. I know him through his music.

His simple, beautiful arrangement of "Brother James Air" is comforting, consoling and tender. His arrangement of "They The Builders of the Nations" is bold and encouraging. His composition of "Hymn of Praise" is powerful, bold, jubilant and rejoicing. His composition "Requiem Aeternam" is ethereal, expansive and beautiful. His composition "Let Peace then Still the Strife" is peaceful, redemptive and glorious. These are just a few. Being conducted by him doing one of his pieces is an experience because we are performing a piece by the actual composer the way they want it done.

I feel like each song, arranged or composed, is a part of him and in a way I feel like I know him on a very personal level. I feel like he knows me too. These pieces touch my heart and move me often to tears.

If prophets can leave us written words that help us feel close to the Savior, how much more can it be to hear testimony through music?

What is it like to be conducted by Mack Wilberg? It is amazing and I'm blessed for this opportunity to be lead by his gifted hand.


Popular Posts