Choir Influence Abroad (Tonga)


What does being interviewed on a Tongan national radio program, speaking at a Fireside, and singing for a Prince all have in common? I did all of these things in Tonga this last week.

I took a leave of absence this last week to pick my mom up from her mission in Tonga. I just returned home today.

Our journey started with a very strange encounter. I posted about it on Facebook.

It was so great to run into him. Looking back now perhaps this was an omen of sorts. Everything happens for a reason.

Just to give some background, the choir and church music are fairly common things in Tonga. You will always find, in any village you drive through, multiple churches. On the Sabbath, Tongan law dictates no store can be open and people should go to church. Tongans also love music. It is a large part of our culture. Tongans sing beautifully. On Sunday, you can hear music throughout the different villages coming from all the churches.

It's also important to note that an island is a small place. People know each other and when visitors come from off island everyone seems to know about things very quickly. My mom works in the Temple where she knows a lot of people and word spread that I was in the choir and that I was going to pick up my mom.

As soon as I arrived in Tonga and was invited to participate in an interview on the national radio program about my experiences in the choir. What makes this experience so wonderful is that my grandfather was the host of this program many, many years ago. The program is a weekly devotional that is held every Monday evening (just like FHE) for the country. It is broadcast in Tongan and goes throughout the kingdom.


This is me and my mom after the radio interview outside of the station.

In order to be interviewed by the media I needed to get permission from the choir. I contacted Scott Barrick (he is in charge of this area of the choir) and he granted permission. I was surprised but I just went with it. It was a great experience to share my testimony with my fellow Tongans. I did speak in English during the interview. Scott mentioned that they may want to use the link in the future and so to make it friendly to a wider audience I spoke in English while the narrator spoke in Tongan and translated some of my comments. Who knew I would have this opportunity? Not me.

Later in the week another surprise came my way. I was invited to sing for the Prince of Tonga. What in the world? I hesitantly accepted. Why? Well, when I was being set apart as a music missionary I remember the counsel I received at that time which told me I would be given opportunities to share my talents with others and that I should always seek to bear testimony when asked.

I decided to sing "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" (2 verses). I had my chance to share my testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith as well. I hope the Prince will be baptized soon.

This is the Prince, mom and me.

Me and my family also held a Fireside in Tonga about my experiences in the choir. During my remarks I talked about joining the choir and also opened it up to questions. There were some very interesting questions that were asked. Some of them included:

  1. How many Tongans are in the choir right now? (3, Sione Ika, Ivalani Bradshaw and myself)
  2. How much do you get paid to be in the choir? (Nothing, it is all volunteer)
  3. How many people are in the choir? (360)
  4. Can single people join the choir? (Yes. I have many that are now very good friends)
  5. What calling in the church do you have?(Being a choir member is my calling)
  6. Do you have to pay to be in the choir? (No)

There were a lot of other questions as well but I just can't remember them right now. I played a piano piece and sang a short song.

This weeks experience also included having dinner with the highest ranking Church Authority in Tonga which was a great experience for us.

There was so much fascination with the choir. I was surprised but glad to share my experiences so far.

Even during a dinner for my mom with fellow missionaries we ended up talking about the choir and music and specifically on Mack Wilberg arrangements. It was so strange to be in Tonga and talk about Mack Wilberg arrangements. Despite the strangeness I loved it. 

I also ran into people in Tonga with ties to members of the choir and orchestra. We took pictures and I will find these people and give them hugs and greetings from the people in Tonga. I'm excited to do this.

We did a lot in one week. I was asked to do a lot more things but we did not have time. In a way I am grateful. It was all so unexpected.

I'm grateful I had this experience. I'm grateful to be in the choir. Who could have guessed this would happen?


Popular Posts