Why A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief? (Tonga)


I was asked why I chose to sing, "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" to the Prince of Tonga.

Let me tell you why.

When I was asked to sing for the Prince I did not have any music with me. I asked my sister to email me some music but the problem would be no pianist and probably no piano.

I began to really think of what I could do and I was prompted by Tongan and Church History.

Tongan History includes a story about the coronation of the first King of Tonga. This is the great-great-great grandfather of the Prince. Tongans refer to it as the "Tuku Fonua". After uniting the different tribes and islands it was said that the first King of Tonga picked up a handful of rich, Tongan soil, raised it to heaven and said, "I give this land to God." That happened in 1839. In 1843, just a few years later,  the Prophet Joseph Smith sent missionaries to the South Pacific. Addison Pratt headed that group of missionaries and he was the first missionary to teach the gospel in a language other than English.
Addison Pratt (1802-1872)
I connected the Prince and Tongan history with early Church History.

I grew up listening to the story of the "Tuku Fonua" from my father. I adopted this tradition myself. I shared with the Prince that when I travel to a place I consider holy or sacred, I will take a little bit of soil, just to remember. I shared with the Prince that during this trip to Tonga I had come with soil from Nauvoo, Adam-Ohndi-Ahman and Salt Lake City.

I shared with the Prince my testimony of Joseph Smith. I shared with him the importance of forsaking the world to do what is right at any cost. I then shared the story of Joseph Smith's martyrdom.

I then sang, "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief."

It is a surreal experience to bear your testimony like that but I felt the Spirit moved me to do this.

It is against protocol for Tongan Royalty to be touched by commoners. They are considered "Tapu" or Taboo or holy. After the meeting he actually kissed my mother and me on the cheek and he shook our hands. 

I felt as though this was what I was supposed to do. It felt like this was what he needed to hear.

He is in a very complicated situation where he wishes to be baptized but his parents are very against it. He is trying to convince them but they are very hesitant. I hope he can find the answers he needs.

My involvement with the choir allowed me this opportunity. I'm so grateful that it opened a door to further bear testimony of the gospel.

As for the soil and I brought to Tonga. I took the soil to the burial spot of my grandparents. They were pioneers of the church in Tonga. I took it there symbolic of the pioneer spirit and sacrifice of the early saints. I took it there symbolic of the missionaries that had come from so far way to share the gospel. I took it there in remembrance of the great reunion we will have when we will be reunited again. 





Popular Posts