Resume or Eulogy. Paying respects to Elder L. Tom Perry


This past week we paid our final respects to Elder L. Tom Perry. The choir was asked to sing for the service.


The music was chosen by the family. O' My Father was arranged by Andrew Unsworth. One of the other songs has lyrics by Harriet Beecher Stowe, titled, "Still, Still With Thee." I loved the lyrics. Beautifully written. The tune was not particularly compelling to me but it was great to sing this piece.


During the funeral I soaked in the remarks from the different speakers. Are we focused on resume virtues or eulogy virtues? They are two, very different, perspectives and provide two distinct focuses.

Each speaker spoke not of accomplishments but of tender, personal moments that would never be placed on a resume. Elder Perry lived an exceptional life of service. He was a World War II veteran. He also served in many different ways that many of us will never know. There were people from different religions present who came to pay their respects as well. He touched the lives of many people.

I left the meeting committed to living a life focused on eulogy virtues as they are the things that bless the lives of others.

I love Elder Perry and will miss him. I am grateful for his life and his testimony and I'm especially grateful I could participate in paying respects to him.


The First Presidency and the current Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.










Popular Posts