Surprise, Surprise

Bishop Palu and his daughter
Yesterday while I was in the office I met a coworker who I only see maybe once every three months. We do different things and are rarely in the office at the same time. It was great seeing her. She had two of her young sons with her. While we were talking to each other the older of the two boys was just staring at me and smiling. His mother turned to him and said, "This is Siope. Remember him?" The son nodded his head. She looked at me and said, "They've seen you on tv at Conference and Music and the Spoken Word and I told them that I knew you." I looked again at the young boy and smiled and he smiled back. I asked him his name but he just stood there staring. His mom just smiled and I tussled his hair and told him it was nice to meet him. He just smiled at me and nodded.

It reminded me of when I visited my old ward. The old Bishop was there with his special-needs daughter. She is probably around 18 years old. She is in a wheelchair and cannot speak. When I came up to greet him she started to get excited and making noises. She grabbed my hand and held it and kissed it and kept my hand close to her face. Her father told me that she loves music and has watched the choir for years and now that I'm in the choir she knows someone and is always looking for me. I hugged her. She could not talk but I could tell in her eyes and her actions that she was excited and happy. Her father became teary eyed. I'm sure they don't see very many good days and that he was happy that she was happy. I became teary too. I gave her a hug and thanked her for watching the choir and that I will think of her when I go to choir the next week. She seemed even more excited. She couldn't say anything but she really didn't need to. Communicating without words is often more powerful than words.

I've been recognized by other people around and about the area. Strangers who look and can't place where they know me and sometimes friends who have younger children who are just surprised and amazed to meet someone they've seen on tv.

What does it feel like? It's awkward. It's really awkward.

Despite the awkwardness of it all I remember what brought us together and remember that I'm a missionary. It's my calling to reach out and share the gospel in any way that I can. I also realize my behavior should always reflect the teachings of the Savior because someone is always watching.

It's a good lesson to keep in mind.





Popular Posts