Christmas Concerts 2015




Christmas is a busy time for choirs. It seems like the need for music escalates during the Christmas season and that is no exception for us.

Ileina gave me the greatest compliment about the Christmas Concert. She said, "It wasn't about shiny Christmas. It was about Jesus." She was right. This year was a focus on Christ and I felt so honored to participate.

The concert was focused on the history of Handel's Messiah. The guest artists from the Metropolitan Opera were amazing to listen to and I found that even those who don't necessarily listen to opera found the program beautiful. 

Everything seemed less chaotic than last year. Last year, during the Tuesday evening rehearsal I seriously doubted we could pull it off but of course it came together beautifully.

People have been asking me about this year compared to last year. I can't compare them nor do I think they should be compared. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit but they have a different flavor. I performed in both Christmas Concerts but they are both different in flavor. Each has it's own character and should be enjoyed on it's own without comparison. Just my opinion.

It's odd to walk into a Deseret Bookstore and hear music from last years concert being blasted from the speakers. I sing and hum along and enjoy my knowledge that I'm one of those voices. It makes me smile.

The week was busy for sure. I took Trax (public transit) downtown most of the evenings because there are so many people. I was grateful to run into Ileina with our Ward youth. They were doing baptism in the Salt Lake Temple and I saw them before I headed in for the Friday evening concert. 

I'm excited to see this program next year when it finally comes out on DVD.

I have a few pictures I'll share here. Enjoy!
It was later confirmed to us that the dancers arms were also poised to convey the lyrics and our message by using American Sign Language. I wish I would have payed more attention as I know sign. I could have also shared this with all my deaf friends.
I don't think people realize the work that goes on behind the scenes. Here are only some of the costumes. Last year it seemed like there were more people on set. This year was less but still, this is a lot of clothing. I was also able to talk to Sue Allred backstage (she does the costumes) and it was great to reconnect. She actually dressed me for a film shoot a few years ago for Mother's Against Drunk Driving and the University of Utah and since then I have been more bold in wearing different colors.
Tenor Ben Bliss stood at this microphone. This was his view every night. He has such a beautiful, clear voice. It was such a joy to hear him every night.
They always say that we are on camera and I don't think people believe it but just to prove the point, here are some women, before anything happens and they are ON CAMERA. lol.
I'm on row 7 which is kind of odd for me. I'm usually on row 8 or 9. Still, I loved this seat. Luke and Dennis behind me.
Here are the 7th Row Basses. These guys are so much fun. So glad I could sit with them.


Trying to bling up my tux. I didn't know Karen and Scott were behind me posing in my picture. Haha. Just some fun with people I love.

It is a busy season but a wonderful way to bring in the celebration of the Saviors birth. I'm so grateful to be a part of this experience.





Popular Posts