Music, Remembrance and Redemption


Music is a reminder and I have been reminded so much about redemption today.

A video for Infant Holy, Infant Lowly was released yesterday and I have watched more than a few times. It is one of my favorite Christmas hymns and I've heard (and sung it) throughout the years but this arrangement is so beautiful. It's like discovering something new about an old friend. Watch the video.



Let me tell you why this video means so much to me.

During the early years of my work as a therapist I worked with Sex Offenders. I largely worked with those who offended on others but I also worked with victims of sexual abuse. Some were adults, some were children. My experiences working with these families changed my view of the world forever. I heard things that people should not hear. I learned things that children should not know. There was a time when, under the stress of it all, I had to take a week off of work to regroup and refocus for myself, unfortunately, it was something the people I was working with could not do. That was their life. I was there to help them move to a better place.

There was one family I worked with where it took years for us to finally work out a plan for reunification (where victim and perpetrator can meet together again). It took a team of people to make these happen. Often including the therapists, court systems, lawyers, family members and finally the victim and perpetrator.

Those meetings were the most emotionally draining encounters I have had as a therapist or as a person. To have the victim and their perpetrator in the same room, face-to-face, talking and working through the pain. Pain that had destroyed families and individuals. It was hard to watch but necessary for healing to occur. What amazed me most about these reunification meetings were the moments of forgiveness and love. Even after the most heinous acts of cruelty and years of separation.

In one case I remember entering a room with my client. The victim was already there, seated, waiting with her therapist. As the door opened and we entered the room my client and the victim made eye contact. My client stopped in the doorway and with a heavy heave took in a deep breath. I looked at him and big tears were already in his eyes and he stood there paralyzed. He was stuck and eventually looked down at his shoes while wiping his tears and sobbing. I watched as the victim stood, came over, grabbed his hand and lead him to the table. No words.  There, in that room, healing started to take place. It was hard, it was gritty but it was happening.

It made me turn inward and ask how well I could follow the Saviors example. I learned that I had a lot to do to improve.

I'm not one to say that forgiveness should be given or not. That is up to the individual. I don't judge either way. People decide these things on their own. When it does happen though, it is amazing to see.

This video and the music brought all those thoughts and memories back to me. Thoughts of music, redemption and remembrance. I'm so grateful music is a part of my life. I'm so blessed to have it and to be a part of this amazing experience.  





Popular Posts