Symphony 8 Mahler - Tanner Gift of Music


I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have been in the choir for over 2 years and I feel like I have had a lifetime worth of experiences. This includes performing Mahler's 8th Symphony with the Utah Symphony and the Madeleine Children's Choir during the past few days. The concerts were held on February 18-19 with recording sessions after the performance. A recording of this performance will be released sometime in the future. I'm excited to hear it.

We have been preparing for these concerts for the past few months. The piece is probably the hardest piece of music I have done with the choir.

Gustav Mahler. You should read about this symphony and about his work. It's interesting to learn about the music and the man behind the music.
The 8th Symphony is also known as the "Symphony of a Thousand" and it does not disappoint. It has two choirs, a full symphony and a children's choir. The only thing I think Mahler forgot was the kitchen sink although I wouldn't doubt there was a kitchen sink in there somewhere. It took me a while to fall in love with it but I eventually did. It is glorious.

The long week of rehearsals and practice were difficult but worth it. I also had a chance to sit on what is normally the women's side of the loft which was great. Our seating was interesting as well. The men sat at the top of the loft areas on both sides. Women sat below. Basses and sopranos closest to the audience and tenors and altos closer toward the pipes. Men wore tuxes and the women wore white dresses. It looked pretty amazing. The sound was interesting and I noticed it took Thierry Fischer and the symphony people some time to get used to the sound. The sound in the Tabernacle is a little funky.


One of the most wonderful experiences was being able to work with Thierry Fischer, conductor of the Utah Symphony. He is such a calm, gentle leader but very focused on the work at hand. He expects people to be prepared and to execute things after being corrected one time. I thought of Mack and his constant requests for us to correct the same mistakes. I realized Mack is far more patient than most conductors. While Theirry was a great conductor, I missed Mack. I missed his consistent feedback and his ability to give specific instructions on how to improve. It's a blessing to sing under his baton.

This concert was under the Tanner Gift of Music. The annual Tanner Gift of Music free concert series grew out of the combined vision of Utah philanthropist Obert C. Tanner and Gordon B. Hinckley, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They endowed a free concert series between the Utah Symphony and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with soloists and guests from around the world. It started in 1983. The concert is presented free to the community thanks to the generosity of Obert and Grace Tanner and the O.C. Tanner Company.

Learn more about Mahler 8th Symphony.

Popular Posts