Easter and Messiah 2016 #MessiahLive

What words can I use to describe the Messiah concerts? Historic. Inspirational. Powerful. It is all of these and more.

Right after the Mahler concerts and the video recording of the Hallelujah Virtual Choir video we began intense rehearsals for Messiah. Intermittent with the weekly broadcast of Music and the Spoken Word we would rehearse various sections of Messiah on Sunday (after the broadcast),  Thursday's and some Tuesday evenings.

This concert was also live streamed online where choirs from around the world joined us in "sing-a-longs" and "watching parties." It was available for a week after the broadcast online. I wish it was available forever, truly. It was a remarkable experience I would have loved to keep for future generations.

Luckily we have the Messiah CD recordings from two years ago that we can use as a reference. It should be stated that the two versions of the recording are on Billboard at Number 1 and 2. It is an impressive work. I know Handel would be pleased.

After the concerts I tweeted out the following. It captures exactly how I feel about the amazing things I have done in choir since joining.



Rehearsing with Mack Wilberg for Messiah


Rehearsing Messiah with Mack Wilberg is very focused. He knows exactly the areas in each of the pieces that need improvement. When we arrive for rehearsal we begin immediately. We warm up vocally. He is simultaneously giving us the music pieces we will review. After the brief warm up we begin immediately focusing on the problem areas. We do not sing the entire piece. We are told the measure numbers and we zone in to that area and work it with feedback. We rehearse it until it is corrected. Not a moment is wasted. Mack Wilberg, in his kindness, is very aware of our time away from family so he streamlines every thing we do to maximize the use of rehearsal time. I do not know how much time he spends in preparation for rehearsal but I do appreciate his thoughtfulness. What a kind man. I do not ever feel like time is wasted. I do my best to remain focused and attentive to whatever he needs.

This type of rehearsing has helped us with everything we have done, especially Messiah. We can efficiently do what is required quickly.

I have adopted Mack Wilberg's rehearsal techniques to my own work professionally. I try my best to keep things quick, focused and respectful and it has proved to be very effective.

This version of Messiah, Mack Wilberg's interpretation of this great work, is inspirational for sure. Response from the public on social media via the video streaming of the event and various comments were very positive. Here is just one of my favorite responses from Twitter of the concert.



You  can find more information on social media channels using #MessiahLive


History of Messiah



George Friderich Handel composed his most celebrated work, Messiah, in 1741. The lyrics are taken from the King James version of the Holy Bible and was collected and organized by Charles Jennens. It was originally performed on April 13, 1742, during the Easter season. During the past years it's been performed more during Christmas. I think most people relate the music to Christmas.

To be completely honest, the Messiah, in it's entirety, is really a celebration of the life of Christ and not just His birth. This year, during the Easter season, the choir performed Handel's Messiah and I feel so grateful to have been a part of it.

Me and Messiah


My experience with Messiah was with the choir when I first joined in 2014. During that time, first year choir members were allowed to participate in the performance and on the CD. I jumped at the opportunity. It was already a busy time already but I knew it would be a chance of a lifetime and when I joined the choir I took on the attitude that I would participate in everything I possibly could. I'm glad I did because it was an experience of a lifetime.

Two years later and we are performing the entire Messiah again but this time I have changed. I have improved. I have learned and implemented two years worth of choir training and education. The music was already familiar and it was pleasant to open the music and see my notes from the original recording. I realized how much I have changed. It was a great opportunity to measure my progress.

This time the performance of the Messiah also coincided with the Church's effort to spread the message of Christ through a campaign #Hallelujah.

I'm not sure why but singing and listening to scriptural texts for the past few weeks has really changed me in surprising ways. I am more in tune with his life, mission and death.

It's been a wonderful experience to sing this work again. I feel so blessed to be here.



Popular Posts