Called To Serve

coveringthebassesmotab Missionary

This week during the 4,444th broadcast of Music and the Spoken Word the program began with the missionary anthem, Called to Serve. In memorizing this song I have been thinking a lot about missionary work and how it has affected my life.
LDS Missionaries meet with the King George Tupou upon arriving in Tonga.
My thoughts reflect back to the missionaries who traveled to Tonga and were instrumental in the conversion of both sets of my grandparents.

My grandfather, Tonga Toutai Paletu'a, joined the church leaving behind his family. He was beaten for this choice but he knew it to be true. He dedicated his life to serving in the church also leaving behind a lucrative career and position in the government to teach at Liahona High School. He continued to serve throughout his life as an Area Authority, Stake President, Mission President, Temple President, Missionary Training Center (Tonga) President, etc. His life was dedicated to service. I'm currently working on a book about his life and it is amazing to learn of him through journal entries, articles and from those that knew him well. I created the meme above in remembrance of him and his life because he is the one person who has been going through my mind during this entire week. I love and miss him.

I think of my own missionary experience in Argentina. Two years that have shaped my life in many ways. I'm grateful for technology that allows me to connect with the great people of Argentina even though they are so far away.
Siope on Mission as Elder in Argentina
This is me and a group of children while I served my mission in Argentina.
I also think of my mom and nephew who are both serving full-time missions right now. My mom in the Nuku'alofa, Tonga Temple and my nephew in Oregon.
Sister Kinikini in Tonga serving a mission
This is my mom in Tonga during her 6th mission. She is now on her 8th mission.
Missionary work has changed our lives and we are now missionaries too. Who knows where the ripple will end?

Listen to the choir singing this wonderful anthem. It will inspire you.





Popular Posts