Did you get that? Memorize.

The Christmas schedule is upon us. The American Choral Directors Association Conference (ACDA) will be held in February. Music and the Spoken Word continues to happen every week. This train is not stopping folks. We are required to memorize music for all these events and believe me, it is not easy.

Today during the broadcast 4 of the 5 songs we sang were memorized. It's crazy to think we rehearse a program on Thursday only to perform it on Sunday morning. (Broadcast # 4443)

During choir school they provided us with different techniques to memorizing a piece. Let me explain some of these techniques and then I'll tell you what works for me. For everyone it is different. Everyone is unique so what works for me probably wouldn't work for anyone else but I had to go through a lot of trial and error before I figured it out. All part of the learning process.

Technique 1:

Write the first letter of each word as a mental trigger.

*Didn't work for me. When looking at the letters on the paper it became alphabet soup. Too confusing.

Technique 2:

Drawing a picture of the lyrics that help trigger your memory of the line.

*Didn't work for me. I got distracted by my own drawings and often forgot what the picture represented.
 coveringthebassesmotab memorization lyrics


Technique 3:

Repeat the lyrics over and over again with the music.

*Worked a little. It takes a lot of time to go over multiple pieces. It did not work for me very well.

Technique 4:

Use sign language to give me some tactile recognition. 

*Worked 70% of the time. I know sign language and so signing the lyrics often helped me remember them.  The downside (and there is a huge downside) is that I can't have my arms flailing around during a performance. That would not be good.

Technique 5:

 Create a mental story and imagine myself acting out the lyrics.

*We have a winner! This works best for me. I actually imagine myself doing everything the lyric says to do. It's like acting and directing myself in a music video of the piece in my brain. For me this works about 95% of the time.

Huge Disclaimer

Of course this all fine and dandy until we are given a song in a different language. It doesn't even have to be a living language either. We also sing in dead languages. (Thanks Latin). Check out Cum Sancto Spiritu. Not only is it in Latin, it's super long.


Despite these challenges I should note that miraculously everything works out fine in the end. It's like I'm receiving additional help from above to do this. I'm grateful for this extra help. There is a saying that goes something like, "Whoever is on the Lord's errand is also entitled to His help." I believe this to be true.

This week we will begin Cum Santo Spiritu. This will be a challenge and I'm excited to go for it. Wish me luck.



Popular Posts