My Open Letter to Sesame Street


Dear Sesame Street,

We have just finished a Christmas Concert together. You don't know who I am but I was one of the voices singing behind you and the entire experience, every night, was magical.

When I was 5 years old I remember watching you all on my black and white television. My parents had moved here from Tonga and we spoke mainly Tongan in our home. You were a large part of helping me (and us) learn English, especially when I started Kindergarten. I was insecure and unsure but reinforced by lessons I learned on Sesame Street. I remember learning how to count. I remember the alphabet. In addition to those things I remember learning how to share, work and be fair. I learned how to be accepting of others and their differences. They are lessons I learned then and continue to carry with me today.

I sang "Sing, Sing a Song" as a child and with my family. This song brings me so many wonderful memories and was a joy to sing during this concert.
I was reminded of my 5 year-old self during the entire concert. What would that little boy say if he could see himself all these years later sharing the stage (in a small way) with his friends from Sesame Street? He would never believe it. I still don't believe it.

Standing in the choir loft watching everything unfold before me every night was amazing. I did not want it to end. I did not want you to leave.

But everything has a time and season and we had to part ways but that doesn't mean I haven't thought of you all since then. The creators behind my beloved characters touched me the most. What a unique gift you each have. I was blessed to observe your genius during rehearsals and was amazed at the skill and dedication behind the magic. Absolutely stunning.



I just want to say that I will always be grateful for you all. You brought something special to us this Christmas season.

So I say, "Thank You" from my 5 year-old self and my now much older self. Thank you for reminding me that wonder and magic has not faded from the world. Thank you for celebrating this time of year with me and my family. Thank you for everything.

Always a fan,

Me

Unless you were there to see some of the behind the scenes work you would never see how talented and gifted these performers are in the work they do. They make things seem so seamless. Truly a blessing to share the stage with these wonderful people.

Popular Posts