Be Prepared for Anything

The Amazing Audra McDonald
If there is one thing that I have learned in my short time in the choir it is this, prepare for anything. Take this past Thursday evening for example.

We were asked to dress in performance attire and arrive a half hour earlier than normal. We would be bused later in the evening to the Grand America Hotel to perform at a mini-concert and we would be joined by a surprise guest artist.

We were introduced to the guest artist during rehearsal. It was none other than the extremely talented multi-Tony winning actress, Audra McDonald. Anyone familiar with Broadway knows who she is. She was the original Sarah in Ragtime (one of the best musicals ever) as well as the star of Porgy and Bess. She sang with the choir a few years ago but to have Broadway royalty with us was amazing. She also played Mother Superior in the Live Broadcast Production of The Sound of Music in 2013. We rehearsed "Climb Every Mountain" with her in the Tabernacle and then she left. Quick and easy.

Choral Conductor Dale Warland
 We were also joined that evening by Choral Conducting legend Dale Warland. Dale Warland is one of the few choral conductors who has been inducted to the American Classical Music Hall of Fame. According to his Wikipedia page it is only he and Robert Shaw that share this distinction. Dr. Warland is conducting the choir in a piece by Stephen Paulus, a good friend of his, who passed away last fall. The piece, Pilgrim's Hymn, is one of my all time favorite pieces the choir performs.

Gail Miller who received the "Giant in our City" Award
 
After we rehearsed music for Sunday's broadcast we were taken by bus to the Grand America Hotel where a dinner was honoring a pillar of our community, Gail Miller. KSL News covered the story about the event. Among those attending were President Monson and Elder Ballard and other community leaders. Quite impressive. The choir performed the final two musical numbers of the evening. We accompanied Audra McDonald on the last number. I was so honored and I know how Gail Miller has been so supportive and helpful in my work. She donated specifically for my work in Smarter Parenting and I am grateful for her help to improve and strengthen the lives of families around the world.

Despite the amazing craziness (yes, that is what I will call it) of the evening the highlight for me was the random encounter with Richard Elliot on the bus ride back from the mini-concert.

Richard Elliot
I was sitting by myself on the bus waiting to return to the Tabernacle when I hear a voice ask me if he could sit next to me. Of course I said, "yes." He then introduced himself and I went into "geeking out" mode. I've been a fan of his for years. We talked and chatted about auditions for organists and about his work and I can't remember anything else because I was freaking out. I let him know I play the organ and he offered some suggestions and a podcast I should follow to help me out. So generous. He was very kind and very friendly. It was such a pleasant conversation I wish the bus ride was longer. I was so grateful to get to know him a little. It was the best moment of the evening for me.

All of this happened in one night. Not uncommon for choir life I guess.

So, what am I trying to say here? Be prepared for anything because really, anything can happen.

Popular Posts