Honor the Past - ACDA Part 1


http://acda.org/
It is a unique time to be in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

This past week the American Choral Directors Association Conference was held in Salt Lake City and it was amazing. There will probably be 3 different posts about ACDA. Sorry, but it was the most amazing week I've ever had with the choir. There is a lot to share.

The theme that seemed to resonate with me the most during our performances in the Tabernacle is the idea that honoring the past is a necessary part of moving forward.

Alberto Ginastera - Argentina
To be honest, I have already written three other posts about ACDA but I decided to put those in my personal/private blog. Some of the things that happened and the conversations I had about the gathering in the Tabernacle I consider very personal.

Participating in the ACDA Conference is the one thing I have done with the choir that has been the most life changing for me so far.  It changed me. It changed those attending the conference too.  Social media allowed me to connect with visitors and I've been able to make new friends. It has been wonderful.

Gustov Holst - Great Britian
Before the concert Brother Wilberg shared with us that work, toil and sacrifice are required and that we (as a choir) need to give the remaining 10%. This resonated with me. For me, memorizing all that music was no easy task. Focusing on all the components that I need to do to self monitor my contribution takes most of my energy. Yet, like all saints, I could still give a little more. I knew I had more to give even though I was physically and mentally exhausted. He was right and it paid off in ways I could not anticipate.
Felix Mendelssohn - Germany

We sang a beautiful program of music from some of the great composers of the world. I have added some of their pictures to this post but there are so many to include I just chose a few. When I mean world, I mean world. We had pieces from composers from all around the world. There was something very respectful about the program. It honored the traditions of choral music as well as the direction choral music should go.

I attended a lot of the performances during the conference. There were a lot of "show" and "modern twists" in some of the performances. I was entertained. It was fun. For me I found that I enjoyed most the performances that were more traditional. Now, I'm not a choral purists but I do believe in paying respect and honoring the foundations and traditions of the art.

Charles Gounoud - France
I was invited to give the opening prayer before the Friday night performance. I was so humbled when I went up to the front and stood there looking at the orchestra, the choir and pipes. Mack and Ryan have that view every week. I was overwhelmed. My thoughts immediately moved to the pioneers. I thought of early choir members. I also thought of the prophets who have spoken in the Tabernacle. The purpose of the Tabernacle was to worship God and I felt overwhelmed by the thought that we were carrying on that purpose and I was a part of it.  I have greater love and respect for Mack and Ryan.

During our performance I felt completely immersed in the music. I was very emotional. During the evening I felt mostly love. Love for music. Love for all people. Love for God. I was exhausted when I returned home but strangely I felt so much energy at the same time. I did not want the day to end.

Gioachino Rossinni - Italy
It is such a unique time to be in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. There are so many wonderful things happening and we are growing. I just want to always remember and honor those who came before us especially while I am moving forward.












__________________

ACDA Program 1

Performed in the Tabernacle on February 26, 27

Prologue
Hymn Tune Setting of the Masters
Vom Himmel Hoch
Psalm 148
Nineteenth Century Sacred Song
Cum Sancto Spiritu
Crucifixus
Unfold, Ye Portals
Contemporary Sacred Songs
Requiem Aeternam
Agnus Dei
Alleluia from Psalm 150
American Sacred Songs
His Voice As a Sound
I want Jesus to Walk with Me
Hymn Tune Settings
Pilgrim Song
Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
Hymn of Praise
Epilogue

Popular Posts