Thank a Teacher

In Jr. High School I took a Band class. I performed horribly in Jr. High School. My grades really suffered except for one class. I loved Band. I really enjoyed my teacher. He was young, recently out of school and he just enjoyed music so much we could all feel it. It was awkward but I carried my trumpet case to and from school all three years of Jr. High because of the class and my teacher.

Fast forward to the present.

Today I sat by that same Jr. High School Band teacher, Craig Decker and we sang together. Yes, we are both in the choir together. What are the chances?

It made me think of all my other teachers and what an influence they have been in my life.

I also realized last week that Mack Wilberg and I had the same piano teacher, Janis Siggard. He had her when he was young and I had her during my time at the College of Eastern Utah (CEU) during my freshman and sophomore year. He obviously got more out of his lessons than I did. Although I'm sure he put more into them than I did. She was a great teacher.

The theme of teachers seemed to be everywhere today in the Tabernacle.

I was talking to my friend Lance (he sings Bass) who reported his daughter returned from her mission earlier this week. He also said that Steve's wife was his daughters teacher a few years ago.  (Steve is another Bass in the choir.)

I also looked out at the choir and I noticed all the teachers in the loft. Professors of different things who teach for a living. I'm surrounded by teachers!

What is interesting about teachers is that they teach more than just the topic they are teaching. For example, Craig Decker (Mr. Decker) taught me music but he also taught me to try hard things when it came to music. I couldn't hit a high F in Jr. High but by the time I left I could hit it easily thanks to his help. He also taught me about friendships. As clickish as Jr. High can be Mr. Decker created an environment in his classroom where everyone could come in and create together. Our band class had boys, girls, rich, poor, popular, unpopular all in one room making music together. I loved that class and I loved him as a teacher. Now I have the chance to sing with him.

Currently I consider myself a student of Mack and Ryan. They are my teachers and I feel like I learn so much during every rehearsal about music but also about other things. I hope to be able to use this knowledge to bless other people. I also promise not to become a "choir/choral snob"... haha. I remember that advice from J and M who said to be careful not to fall into that trap. I hope I never do and if I do, someone tell me. Seriously. I have no time for that nonsense.

I feel truly blessed. I'm going to try and reach out to my former teachers and thank them.

If you can, hug a teacher and thank them. They deserve it.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the messages! It's great to connect.

*Above picture is of me and Craig Decker after a rehearsal.

Popular Posts