Cultures United through Music


There is a Tongan proverb called, "Mohe Ofi"which means to "sleep close." The meaning of the proverb comes from the old days when a mother would lay down to sleep. The mother would lay down on the ground and extend her arm out. Her children would then lay next to her placing their heads on her arm like a pillow. The mother would sing a song, share a story or teach the children a lesson until they were asleep.

The term "sleep close" meant that the child whose ear was closest to his mother would be able to remember her words better than the child that was farther away. It implied that that the child closest to his mother would be well behaved and respectful. So a Tongan would say, "That boy/girl must have slept closely." which really means, "That child was close to his mother and received her wisdom and that is why he is so good."

Last night during rehearsal we practiced a song called, "If The Way Be Full of Trial" that I have never sung in the English language. I then told Steve, the person I was sitting by, that I grew up hearing this song from my mother in the Tongan language. This is a song I remember hearing my mom sing when I was a small boy. I grew up singing it in church in the Tongan ward as well. It reminds me of her and of my effort to be the child that is "mohe ofi." Later during the rehearsal Ryan Murphy mentioned that the song was not in the English Hymnbook but in the Polynesian Hymnbook of the church. For the Tongan Sheet Music click HERE.

The hymn was written by William H. Flaville (1829-1897). A biographical sketch about him stated he was a school teacher. An interesting story includes that he fancied a young woman and asked her father for her hand in marriage. The father refused, believing that a teachers salary was not sufficient to support his daughter. The story goes that on the same night of the refusal, the father saw William kneeling down in the snow in prayer. This act changed is mind and he agreed for them to marry. Around nine hymns are attributed to him although this is probably his most well known hymn.

In my opinion  the English words are not as beautiful as the Tongan words. The phrase, "Weary Not" is translated into Tongan as the word 'feinga' which loosely means, "try, keep trying, don't give up." The lyrics in Tongan have such rich meaning. The song has always been a family anthem to never give up and to push forward especially when things are difficult.

President Monson wearing a Faka'ufilani (Tongan) Lei. Interesting note: it is rare to see President Monson with a flower lei. In offering him leis in the past he has signaled that he cannot wear the very flower leis. He would thank the person providing the gesture but simply point to his nose and we understood. This Tongan lei is a nice substitute because it is less flower and more leaves, etc.
Steve later told me that this piece was arranged by Mack Wilberg at the request of President Monson for his 85th birthday. I wonder if President Monson heard this hymn in a Tongan Ward. I don't know. After this I felt an even deeper connection to this song, to my faith and to my culture because of President Monson's connection me and my family. He knew my grandfather and my dad and he was the one who married Liana and I in the Salt Lake Temple. It's such a small world.

This song reminds me of my childhood. It reminds me of my mom. It reminds me of my dad. It reminds me of my roots and my culture. It reminds me of my faith.

There are so many songs in the Tongan hymnbook (largely from Methodist missionaries) that are not in the English hymnbook. I may have to visit a Tongan ward again just to hear some of these songs because I miss them.

Here is a video I shot of the Tongan choir singing this very song (in the Tongan language) for the 50th Anniversary celebration of the Polynesian Cultural Center. This is also Mack Wilberg's arrangement. The music starts at the 2:40 mark.

Popular Posts