Farewell to Elder Richard G. Scott


It was an absolute privilege to sing at the funeral services for Elder Richard G. Scott. He was a great supporter of the choir and the music selection for the program was excellent. We sang three musical pieces that are absolutely beautiful on their own but when combined for a service, really focused on the Savior and our journey back to the presence of our Heavenly Father.

Within the past few months three Apostles have passed away and I feel honored to have participated in each of their funerals. A fond farewell to the Apostles I have grown up seeing and hearing for most of my life. The work and the circle of life continues on.

I was especially touched by the comments of his son. His tribute to his father was beautiful and provided us with greater insight into Elder Scott as a father. It reminded me of my relationship with my own father.


Elder Scott and his family chose the following pieces for this service:

I Know That My Redeemer Lives
Jesu, The Very Thought is Sweet
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

I did not know Elder Scott but I felt closer to him after my own father passed away. I didn't know my father even knew Elder Scott but apparently their paths had crossed. 

My cousin posted the following on his facebook page about meeting Elder Scott after his death. 



In going through his personal items after he passed away I found a letter from Elder Scott thanking my father for his help with some of his remarks for General Conference talk he gave dealing with culture. I had no idea they knew each other. I had no idea Elder Scott asked him for some help. I had no idea my father reviewed it and offered some feedback. It says a lot about both of them really. My father, for not talking about personal matters with others and Elder Scott in his effort to reach out and ask people for help.



I have since gone back to listen to that particular talk (I've attached it above) and I can hear Elder Scott and my father's thoughts in the message. It's a beautiful message for anyone struggling with understanding how their cultural identity and the gospel work.

I felt honored to be a part of the services for Elder Scott. What a wonderful man and an example to all.


I rejoice in knowing he is with his wife again where they will never be separated again.

I look forward to being reunited with my father and with family that have also gone beyond the veil. 

The gospel is grand.

For more information about the funeral services click HERE.


Popular Posts