It's not JUST another broadcast

Today I received the following message from my cousin in Hawaii after the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast.

"Since the passing of my son, Michael, on Mother's Day 2012, and the recent passing of my dear wife, Val, there have been very few things that help to comfort and ease the grief the way that music has always done for me. I'm sure you hear it often, but I need you to know that each Sunday morning since Hawaii finally added BYU Channel to our cable listings, I have watched Music and the Spoken Word to find the peace that only comes by way of pure & wholesome music. Seeing you perform in the choir allows me to feel close to home and family. Today's performance was no exception. My favorite hymns sung by the Choir has always included "Consider the Lilies" which was sung by our Stake Choir during Michael's funeral service, "Homeward Bound" which I asked the Stake Relief Society Choir to sing during Val's service, since it was a song that she and I listened to regularly following Michael's passing. "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" has always been a favorite of my dad's, and I can't listen to it without having images of his smiling face show up. But today, I found myself missing Val and Michael a lot more than usual, and when the Choir sang "Look to the Day" by John Rutter, I knew in my heart that the day will soon come when my family will be reunited, and that I need only remain faithful to the commandments of our Heavenly Father in order to ensure that eternal bond remains sealed. I love you, dear cousin, and I'm always so proud to point you out to my children who watch regularly with me each Sunday. 'Ofa atu to you and your beautiful family!
The service you provide by singing in the choir has uplifted countless families, and I look forward to listening to you sing forever!"

I've thought of Michael since his son passed away. I was especially sad when I heard his wife also passed away a few years later. Now, he is raising his other children alone. He's only 45 years old.  I can't imagine what it is like but I am inspired by his example of love and endurance. I'm grateful to know the music from today was a source of comfort to him.  What he shared with me is something I definitely needed to hear.

I think I take for granted what we do and some of the songs we sing. The program today included other musical pieces I really love including: Softly and Tenderly, This Little Light of Mine, Climb Every Mountain and even Haydn's Awake the Harp. Beautiful pieces. If you asked me before the broadcast which song I was excited to sing, "Look to the Day" would probably be the last on that list.

After my cousin's message though I have had a change of heart.

Even though it may be the 100th time we have sung a particular piece, for someone listening, it may be what they truly need. I learned a valuable lesson today. It's not just another broadcast. It's not just another song to be sung. The Lord reaches his children in any way He can to lift them. The choir one way I can help Him do that. Every broadcast and every song has a purpose, even if I can't see it immediately. I think this may have been the Lord's way to reach me too. 

Blog photo take from @collinscochran who I follow on Instagram.


Popular Posts