We Sing For Everyone


Mack Wilberg has said on more than on occasion that the choir, "sings for everyone." You can see that during a Broadcast as well. The music genres covered in a Music and the Spoken Word broadcast covers just about everything.

Since the beginning of the choir it has sung for various events. Some political, some religious, some celebrations, etc.

This past week the choir performed for the World Congress of Families Conference IX held here in Salt Lake City. We performed a "mini-concert" which consisted of just a few songs. Ryan Murphy conducted the concert after our Thursday rehearsal.

Ryan Murphy made a statement during the rehearsal that I think encapsulated my feelings about this particular performance. He said, "We don't always sing for people we agree with and that it ok. It's an opportunity to share the spirit and once people feel the spirit they can move toward the truth." That was all he said. It was just a few sentences, but it really captured my feelings about the occasion.

For me, it was a difficult decision to make. I attended the Inclusive Family Conference the week before. I have also attended the World Congress Conference this week. Two very different points of view.

My political views are things I want to keep personal. I participate in the process but I don't want to argue with people online or demean others perspectives.

The idea that we "sing for everyone" is quite literally the thing that kept running through my mind. My choice was to sing for everyone that night, regardless of their politics.

To my daughter: We live in a world where we engage and interact with people of many different beliefs. It can be hard to know what to do. Always be kind and always find a way to share a part of yourself. My personal struggle through this issue was an opportunity to learn about myself and about others. When it comes down to it, the Holy Ghost will always be our guide. He helped me and he will help you too. You will know what to do.






Popular Posts