What is it Like? The Organists


The Organists of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Temple Square need no introduction. Remember when I said rehearsals are business. Well, rehearsals are all business. There is no time to socialize. The chance to meet anyone and talk with them is limited. Not a lot of time and yet, it's surprising that I have been able to meet them and talk with most of them one-on-one.

My interactions with the Organists have been (brief) and great.

First, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir blog makes the following distinctions: Bonnie and Linda are Temple Square Organists and Richard Elliot, Clay Christiansen and Andrew Unsworth are Organists for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I did not know that. Now I do and you do too.

My first interaction with the organists actually started years and years ago. I met Bonnie and Linda when the Tongan Stake would hold Stake Conference in the Tabernacle back in the early and mid 1990's. Bonnie and Linda would play for the Stake Conference meetings and I met them during that time.

When I first joined the choir I was able to talk to them more during Choir School. In fact, Linda and Bonnie approached me and asked if I knew President Kinikini, my dad. They remembered playing for the Stake Conferences and were sad to hear he passed away. During choir school I forgot my music during one rehearsal (I took it home to practice) and Linda offered to let me use her music. They are so kind and generous.

I met Richard Elliot on a bus ride back to the Tabernacle after a performance. He is such a generous person. During our ride back to the Tabernacle he was very warm and we talked about the organ, he gave me some advice on a podcast I should listen to and we talked about his work. We also talked about the process for hiring an organist for the choir. Fascinating story. He has such a warm personality and is so friendly that it seemed like we had been friends for a long time. He also took time to memorize my name which I found very interesting. No one has ever done that before. Although if he forgets, I wouldn't blame him. I don't have an easy name to remember. LOL.

I met and talked to Andrew Unsworth during the East Coast tour. After one of the performances at Carnegie Hall we ended up walking and talking all the way back to the hotel. We live in the same community. We have a lot of similar things in regards to schools and children. Andrew seemed like the kind of person I would be friends with if we were in the same ward. Thoughtful, friendly, easy going and understated. When I first joined the choir I would see him by the organ and he seemed mild mannered. When he began to play the organ I was floored. He looks so young too it seems like he is swallowed up in the organ console.

I have yet to encounter Clay Christiansen. The odds are in my favor though. The longer I am in the choir, the more likely we will run into each other.

These people are amazing musicians. They bless the lives of millions through music. They are such an essential part of everything the choir does. In a way they are their own section, all by themselves.

After every broadcast the organist plays a piece. I love listening to it. Unfortunately my carpool leaves quickly and I'm not always able to enjoy it. If you are in Salt Lake City and attend a broadcast I would recommend you wait until the final organ piece is played before you leave. It's played after the choir sings the final number, "God Be With You." Stay, enjoy. You won't regret it.

Popular Posts