Tour - Vancouver (experiences)


I could live in Vancouver. A fun, diverse place full of great people and history. It's such a clean city too. This post includes things I did, places I visited, experiences I had. The last thing I share in this post is my favorite experience in Vancouver. Read on, y'all even if it's long. LOL.

In true Siope fashion, (yes, I'm referring to myself in the third person), I spent time wandering the city. I like wandering on my own for a period of time because it allows me to be spontaneous to stop where I want. Sometimes when you are with people, they want to do something or go somewhere you may not want to go.

So, I enjoyed time on my own in Vancouver.

I had Canadian Maple syrup with waffles for breakfast with bacon and not Canadian bacon. LOL. See facebook post about this. I had some Canadian Ginger Beer too (non alcoholic).

I'm a huge fan of Ginger drinks. In New York on tour I had Ginger Ale and it was the best Ginger Ale I had ever had. Anyway, glad to find this English drink here.

I was able to see the some of the sites and enjoy some of the views. Too many pics to post but I really liked this steam clock.
Vancouver has this steam clock. It's pretty cool.
I visited a haberdashery. Seriously, there is a REAL haberdashery in Vancouver with the most amazing hats.
While walking past this shop, I had to stop. I have never been to a Haberdashery before and I wanted to check it out. Really amazing store. It felt like I was stepping back in time to when people wore hats all the time.

I also stopped off at a record shop and explored the vinyl LP's. Pretty amazing collection of music. I spent time talking to the owner of the shop for a long time because of our love of vinyl. Of course I explained why I was there and that started a new conversation as well about the church. Such a great guy. I hope to return and visit his shop again.
There were two full walls of albums in this shop. Super amazing selections from super vintage items to new albums.

Do you know how much time I spent in here? LOL. Yeah, it was heaven.
We were in Canada during their Independence Day and I celebrated by eating a Tim Horton's special maple bar and having hot chocolate.













Richmond Night Market

A group of us traveled by train to the Richmond Night Market which was recommended by Richard Elliot. This is a carnival-like gathering with food booths where you can buy all kinds of mostly asian food. Octupus, squid, clams, shrimp, etc. I ate so much. Seafood. Yum. There were also stages and shows with people performing and rides for kids. It was a fun way to spend the evening with good friends.
The Summer Richmond Night Market is like a Carnival. Fun stuff to see for all ages.




Clams. Hoi. Seafood. Delicious.

I saw this hula cut out and thought, how odd. As a Polynesian, I felt I should put my head in it. LOL. Too bad my face is so dark. LOL.


One of my favorite experiences

One of my most favorite experiences was near the end of my 'sauntering' I came to a cathedral where I saw a bench. I was tired of walking and wanted to sit but I noticed something was sitting on it. I ended up posting the following on Facebook about the experience.

"While walking around the city of Vancouver today I ended up in front of a Cathedral and there was a bench but a person was laying on it. Another homeless person, I thought. Taking up space, I thought. I was annoyed. I wanted to sit. But as I came closer to the bench I noticed it was actually this statue.
A figure enshrouded in a blanket except for the feet which bears the marks of a crucified Jesus.
I felt ashamed for being annoyed.
I entered the Catherdral and joined in the chanting of a small congregation pleading and praying for God’s help. As I joined in and sang along I felt their pleas were the same as mine. Praying for God to help us all. The shame left. I felt peace and aware. I felt determined to change.
On choir tour we have seen a lot of homeless people in San Francisco and some here in Vancouver. My thoughts about them as I passed by them has varied from indifferent to annoyed but I won’t do that anymore. “The least of these...” rings in my ears. I’ll be wise in how I can help, but I won’t be indifferent.
Anyway, I’m sharing this as there is so much in the news about refugees and displacement. Surely we can find a way to be fair, compassionate, helpful and supportive without becoming angry.
This isn’t a political post, it’s a post about changing my perspective to find a way to be aware and to help all of God’s children.
I’m going to bed a changed man tonight. Better than before. I hope I never forget this lesson.
“When you know better, you do better.” -Maya Angelou"
#Woke #StayWoke #LifeLesson

This post on Facebook was interesting because it sparked a lot of conversation with people on tour and those watching my posts about choir tour. In fact, many others on tour took their own pilgrimage to this statue and told me about it later. I shared this experience because it moved me not thinking anything about it. 
This post received: 326 reactions, 21 comments and 56 shares but I was mostly moved by the face-to-face interactions from those on tour about this.
  • One sister told me she struggled with the stance the Church has with refugees and that this post helped her work through her this same week.
  • A brother shared how grateful he was for the insight because being tour can be busy full of distractions but how it helped him refocus on what we are here to do.
  • A sister told me she was trying to figure out her career choices and how she felt moved to find something focused on helping the needy.
  • A couple stopped me before a meal and we discussed ways to better reach out to those in need in Salt Lake City. They work helping single mothers and want to expand their reach.
It was a great experience for sure and I'm grateful the Lord wanted to speak to me and I was able to recognize it.








Epilogue


One thing I didn't share though was that on my last day in Canada, I ran into some of the homeless. I didn't take a picture to exploit this person and that is not my intention. Nor did I share this on social media. This is only shared here on this blog because let's be honest, there are probably only two people that read this thing. Anyway, this is my journal so I'm putting this here.
A day or so after my experience at the Cathedral, I ran into this person on the street. Covered, unseen, hidden, wrapped in a blanket. You can imagine my shock at seeing something that wasn't a statue anymore, but that was a real person. I real person, huddled, cold and needing help. I wasn't sure how to respond. Do I wake this person? Do I intrude on their sleep as probably so many have in the past? Do I walk by again?
No. I do not walk by. I offer my help. So I did.
Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time to go hunting for food and such so I did what I felt inspired to do. I gave all the money I had in my pocket. I was grateful I had withdrawn money from the ATM and the money was Canadian. I regret nothing and would do it again.
Before anyone lectures on me about the homeless only using the money for drugs, etc. just know that for one moment, this man and I connected. I felt inspired to help him in this way. 
This will remain a memory I will always remember with fondness. A lesson the Lord wanted to teach me, then an opportunity to practice it. 
Thanks, Vancouver for a wonderful experience. I hope to return again sometime soon.

Popular Posts