Tour - Vancouver (Performance)


Vancouver, y'all! I love Vancouver. Seriously, I love Vancouver. It's a clean, beautiful city with the friendliest people. Everywhere I went, people were friendly, kind and helpful. It is definitely a place I would love to visit again.

We were only in Vancouver for a short time. I would have loved to stay a week here to explore the city, enjoy the people and explore. We performed on June 30th.

Every place we perform in is unique and presents unique challenges. Some places are dry and it requires a lot more projection. Some places have a lot of echo. Our rehearsal before the concert is a warm up for everyone to get used to the space and it is a needed rehearsal.

The Orpheum Theater


We sang in the Orpheum Theater in Vancouver. Beautiful theater with a lot of history. Look at these amazing images of the theater.
This theater originally opened on November 8, 1927 as a vaudeville house. It was the biggest theater in Canada at the time of it's opening with three thousand seats. The cost at the time was $1.25 million to construct.

After Vaudeville ended in the 1930's the theater became a movie house.
In 1973 the owners wanted to but the inside of the building and turn it into a multiplex. A "Save the Orpheum" campaign was launched and it was saved. Thank goodness. A renovation was slated and the theater was closed in 1975. It re-opened on April 2, 1977. Interesting fact: Tony Heisenberg, a U.S. designer who originally chose the colors scheme for the interior of the theater was brought back, fifty years later, for this renovation. The stage was extended into the first two rows and other changes were made during this renovation for better patron comfort. It is gloriously beautiful inside.
"It's style is an exuberant and eclectic mix of Romanesque, Moorish, Gothic and Spanish Renaissance elements, making it Canada's best example of the exotic phase of cinema architecture which was the fashion in the larger North American cinemas in the late 1920's."
In 1979 the theater was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.
The theater is used often for filming in Vancouver including for series Battlestar Galactica, Highlander the series, Twilight: Breaking Dawn-Part1, The X Files and Fringe.





This theater had an organ built in for movie projection etc. but I'm can't remember if we used it or not or if we used the traveling organ.

My thoughts


Upon arrival we entered through the back stage into a very narrow tunnel area. Being claustrophobic, it was hard not to get a little anxious while walking through the tunnel, especially when we would have to stop and wait in parts of it. On my initial way into the tunnel, I ended up in the middle of it for what felt like an eternity. With no air flowing through there in the cramped space, I was getting more and more nervous. I had to look down at my shoes, close my eyes and count breath to calm down. Weird experience for me because I'm usually not phased like that but I felt that way here.



We then entered the stage and sat in our seat. This concert was unique in that we actually sat in our seats BEFORE the audience arrived. Usually we enter the stage in single file line and sit a few minutes before the concert begins. This made it a long night for sure. We also did not change our clothing at the venue. There was no room. So we dressed at the hotel and then traveled to the venue and performed.

The stage set up was extremely tight. We were packed on the risers and it is hard to move around. Being so close to each other also means it can get very warm. We all take it in stride and realize this is part of the gig. We get situated, comfortable and while not completely comfortable, when it's time to perform, it all melts away and we perform. This is closer than sitting in coach on a small Delta plane but it's always with people you know and love so it is so much better.

The sound in the hall was beautiful. I was able to hear all the parts well. The orchestra was also close so I was able to hear them well. The concert seemed to go by quickly. The audience was very responsive with their applause and engagement during the concert.

Sometimes it is hard to see people's faces well but I noticed a woman sitting in the audience who wiped her eyes when we sang our closing, "God Be With You" at the end of the concert. It made me remember why going on tour is so important.

There was a concert of an 80's band the same night as our concert and I was thinking that if it was a free night, I would have gone to that concert. I believe it was Collective Soul that was performing near where we performed. LOL. Narrow streets, big buses, we needed police to guide traffic.

This is what we look like sitting in our seats before the audience arrived. Just enjoying our time together and excited for the night.

One of the benefits of choir is getting to know the people in the organization that you would not normally get to know. These Sister are wonderful.

Look at the background shell on the stage. Pretty ornate, right?

I love sitting right next to the baritone section. We sing the same notes but then we break apart and the harmonies are beautiful to hear. Me and Brother Wynn. If you want to see us together, he was in the Presidential inauguration video too. Fun guy. Super nice.

Pano of the stage from where I was sitting. Pretty great pic. This was my view during the concert. Not bad at all.

Me and Paul. I always enjoy sitting by Paul. He's funny, a great singer and just a good friend.

The chandelier was so beautiful. Man, it's hard to take pics with a phone when you realize the pic doesn't look like what you see in real life. I wish I had my 4D camera and lenses. 





Popular Posts