From Tonga with Love


Today's Music and the Spoken Word had a wonderful program that would appeal to every music fan.

Right after the broadcast we had a rehearsal with new music for next week. Afterward I was walking downstairs to change when I checked my phone and received this message from my mom on Facebook.

Tears, tears, I understand now how joy can make you cry too. I just finished watching the Tabernacle Choir singing. I see my son singing, so handsome. So, so happy with the Spoken Word. He said, "What ever we accomplish today we build on the foundation of the past." I know dad is watching too as is Grandpa Muli, (Grandma) Le'o, (Grandpa) Tonga and (Grandma) Hehea. I guess they have tears in their eyes and joy in their hearts...Wonderful morning and it will be a wonderful week. Thank you and thank you all for waking up this morning to go fulfill your callings. Each one of you on this Sunday morning. Have a wonderful Sunday serving The Lord and serving his children.

It's amazing that my mom could see Music and the Spoken Word on Monday afternoon (it's Monday in Tonga) in the small, remote island of Tonga in the South Pacific while we were broadcasting it in Salt Lake City. Connection is instant. She saw it as it was happening. 

It was touching to me even more that my mom does not have internet in her home so to send this message she has to walk to a school and log into one of their computers. It's hard to imagine her doing that at her age but I know she was so moved she just wanted to share her joy.

I love my missionary mom and I'm grateful for her example.

We exchanged a few words (Facebook is less expensive than calling). One of the things I shared with her was this picture that hangs in the Tabernacle that I pass on my way up to the loft. 

Picture of President Hinckley wearing a Tongan lei.
Whenever I see this picture I think of my dad and grandparents. I think of their love of the gospel and their reverence to the Prophets of God. Lei's are given as a sign of respect, honor and love. This Tongan lei around President Hinckley is a huge hug from the Tongan people to him and I feel like it is a hug from me to him too. I told my mom that everytime I go by this picture I remember and I give thanks and I remember those who came before me. It's a wonderful reminder for me. 

I'm so grateful my mom continues to have so much joy and hope especially after all these years since my father passed away. She is an amazing woman.

We broadcast out to the world every Sunday morning and we don't really know who is touched but I know today, today we reached my missionary mother and brought her joy and comfort. 

I love this work. 




Popular Posts