The Pesident's Own Marine Band


It's true what they say. There is always something new in the pipeline. After the Richfield Concert we began practicing for a program to perform with the brass and percussion sections of "The President's Own" United States Marine Band. Yes, we are talking about the band for the Commander and Chief. They are amazing musicians. They are currently on tour in the western United States and made a stop in Utah to perform with the choir for Music and the Spoken Word. It was such a blessing to perform with them.


The most challenging portion of the program was memorizing the various songs. The song with the most challenges for me was "Cohen's Big Three" that is pretty wordy. I listened and practiced it all week long and did fine during the broadcast but it did take some work.

What was interesting today was that I sat by Luke who is an Australian and he knew the music and lyrics perfectly. Dennis sat next to a Kenyan who he said knew the music and lyrics perfectly. Amazing to have these two from different countries sing these patriotic songs with so much gusto and fervor. The choir has so many interesting people. I'm glad to get to know them.

After the broadcast Lloyd Newell mentioned how wonderful it was to have America's Brass Band play with America's Choir. Lloyd was right. It was a powerful program that was edifying to the soul.


As we sang "God Be With You" as the final farewell I noticed a few of the Matine Band members wiping away tears. I can only imagine that they were feeling the spirit of that hymn and probably remembering fellow friends and soldiers who may have perhaps passed on. It made me teary eyed as well. I looked out at the audience and many were wiping tears away as well. I later asked Dennis if he noticed this and he said he did too. It's humbling to be in the Tabernacle and to share such a powerful part of the Spirit as only music can do. I'm grateful to be there.


This weekend has been a patriotic one. The Honor Flight returned last night as well and I attended. Veterans who served in Word War II visited Washington D.C. this past week. The program for them was equally patriotic.


It has been a wonderful day and a wonderful weekend to remember the sacrifices of those who have labored to preserve our freedoms. I am blessed in so many ways.



Popular Posts