Be Our Guest

Grandpa Anderson is located in the first row, second person in from the left side holding the folder.
There are over 15 million members of the church. There are 360 seats in the choir. The odds of being able to be in the choir or sing with the choir are small. Let's face it, the odds are not in your favor. I wish it were open to more people personally as it is a wonderful experience. Despite the odds every once in a while a guest can be invited to participate in a rehearsal.
Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearsal
Rehearsal with Grandpa Anderson
Last night I was able to invite my grandfather-in-law (is that even a thing?) to participate in our rehearsal. His name is Robert Anderson and he is my wife's maternal grandfather.

He is an amazing person. He is a World War II veteran who participated in the Honor Flight a few weeks ago. He was called as the Sunday School Chorister when he was 15 years old. After that he was called as a Ward Chorister.  He has been involved with Ward and Stake choirs for over 70 years. He is super adventurous. He went skydiving when he turned 80 years old. In fact, I think it was my first youtube video on my channel. Don't worry, I asked permission to post it and he said it would be alright. He will turn 88 years old on Sunday. What a way to celebrate your birthday!



Anyway, back to choir rehearsal. We did not sit by each other in the loft. Seats are assigned by height and because I'm taller I'm in the back.

While he was in the loft I thought about him and wondered how he was doing. I remembered my first rehearsal and how amazing, intimidating and fast paced it was. I'm sure he was going through a similar experience.
Grandpa Anderson during rehearsal.
After going through the music for the broadcast the guests were introduced to the choir by Brother Wilberg. Grandpa Anderson received a standing ovation for his service in the military which was a wonderful tribute to such a wonderful person. Not everyone can say they've sung with the choir and that they received a standing ovation. I'm so glad he could have this experience.
Grandpa Anderson singing with the choir.
 After the rehearsal I was asked so many questions about him. I was happy to answer them the best I could. I miss my own grandparents. They have all passed beyond the veil. Grandpa Anderson is Ileina's only living great-grandparent and Liana's only living grandparent so to have this blessing and opportunity is such a thrill.
We were doubly blessed because pictures were taken by the choir photographer. Thanks Deb!

He will probably be the only guest I will ever be able to invite into the loft and I'm glad he could do it.



Popular Posts