General Conference


21 songs. 7 memorized. 6 contingency hymns. That is a lot of music. This is the music of General Conference weekend.

Too many of the songs were favorites of mine but I'll list three.

Praise to the Man (arranged by Mack Wilberg)
Softly and Tenderly (arranged by Mack Wilberg)
My Savior will Supply my Need (arranged by Mack Wilberg)







Singing in the choir for General Conference was a blessing for me in many ways. To hear the counsel of living prophets and participating in the meeting is something I will never forget.

We were able to hear the first talk given in General Conference in the language of Cantonese. What a wonderful experience. I took mental notes and remembered how I was feeling sitting in that large hall with so many others. My thoughts went out to all the people out in the world who were watching conference as well and I was grateful that in our day the words of the Prophets can be shared and the world can be blessed equally.

Sunday was a marathon day. I arrived at the Tabernacle at around 6:45 am to change, get my music, go through security and up to the loft before the 7:15 call time. We warmed up and began reviewing music for Music and the Spoken Word and we went through a run through with cameras like we usually do. We practiced the music for conference and had a quick 10 minute break.

Performing Music and the Spoken Word was wonderful. The musical selections were inspired and touching and the last song, Mendelson's Elijah was a rousing piece and a great way to end the broadcast. After that we continued to stand in preparation to begin broadcasting at 10:00 am for Conference.

The mood and feelings of the men in my section was positive throughout the day. There is a great camaraderie among all of us. Everyone is kind, friendly and excited to be there. It is hard to describe but it feels much like the feelings I had while in the Missionary Training Center. The Spirit is super strong. There are many rules. We are united in purpose. Everyone is striving to be the best they can. I am blessed to be there.

I finally left the Tabernacle at around 5:00 pm. I left edified and tired but grateful for this chance to be a part of something so wonderful.


Popular Posts