Be One Celebration (I almost joined)



Choir life is busy but choir members were invited to participate in the "Be One" Celebration commemorating the prophecy of allowing all worthy male members of the church to hold the priesthood which happened in 1978 under the direction of President Spencer W. Kimball.

This celebration would include a choir of mostly multicultural people which included members of the choir. It would be conducted by the amazing Gladys Knight.

I signed up and attended the first few rehearsals but needed to quit. It was sad though because when I attended the first rehearsal, I knew so many people there. Cousins, friends, people of the Polynesian community, blacks I had worked with on various projects, etc. It was like coming home.


The rehearsals lasted from 6:00 or so until 10:00 and the time demand, with the inclusion of choir responsibilities and the preparation for the two-week tour, made it impossible for me to do it. I could not commit to the time as rehearsals increased in time and frequency as the date for the concert drew closer.

Other choir members were able to do it and I'm proud we could be represented.

This was a very special and important event for the church and for me on a personal level as a person of color. I was glad to see so many familiar faces though.

It was a beautiful program.

Popular Posts