Tour - Costa Mesa, Segrestrom Hall



Our first concert on the 2018 tour was in Southern California where we performed in Segrestom Hall. The first few days of tour are exciting. Everyone is anxious and geared up for this new adventure.

The first day was a travel day with everyone traveling to the destination. The second day was the first concert.

First Day


I arrived at the airport at my scheduled time. Because there are so many people traveling, we have to travel in waves. My group was not large. We had about 33 people in our group. I did not travel with my roommate, who I did not know at all. We flew to the airport in Los Angeles and I rode the bus with my fellow bass friend, Bret Wheadon. We had a great talk about California and what we were expecting for tour and planned to do some activities together.

We arrived at our hotel and then we both walked around the area. There was a large mall located right by the hotel and we had lunch there at the Cheesecake Factory.

I met my roommate later that evening after dinner. He is a newer member of the choir. His name is Jason Robbins and he sings tenor.

The beauty of the tour is that we are able to get to know people we would normally never get to know so I was pleased to be his roommate. He was very kind, social and just a great person.
Here a group of us are playing board games because we have a break. It's so fun to be with these people

We had dinner in a beautiful area with a scenic view of the ocean. A lighted gazeebo was there as well.

The hotel from the table. The food was delicious and the accommodations were first class.

You can't see beyond the gazeebo but a view of the ocean is behind there. Breathtaking views from this place.
I made a goal to get to know different people throughout the tour so I sat with some older folks during dinner and learned that one of the sister's husbands was in the choir as a young man under the direction of Richard Condie (conductor 1957-1974). He left the choir for a few years and rejoined the choir under the direction of Craig Jessop. I found it amazing to talk to him about Brother Condie and his memories of the choir during that time. We had a wonderful discussion and he said something very interesting. He said, "Well, Brother Condie was an opera singer and he treated the choir like an opera chorus. There was a lot of loud singing in the loft. With Brother Jessop, things were different and we focused a lot on blending more. Each director brings their personality to the choir and the choir is a representation of the conductor's personal style and preferences."

It made me think about how the choir's sound has changed over the years. I have the LP records of the choir throughout the years and listening to the newer recordings there are some definite differences. Because music is subjective, you will have people who love the older sound and those who love the newer sound.

Second Day

We had a few hours before we began the soundcheck for tour. A group of us decided to watch the Incredibles 2 movie which was just released in the morning. We were surprised to see a few of the sister decided to do the same thing as well so with the theater filled with choir members we watched The Incredibles 2. It was fun to sit with people I did not know well.

I decided to venture out and I found a highly recommended Argentine restaurant. 


I used Lyft to get there and learned that my driver was an immigrant but he knew about the choir. We talked about music and he said he visited Utah and saw the choir but did not like the state itself. It made me laugh. I entered the restaurant and I felt like I was home. The FIFA world cup was playing on the tv with men and boys commenting on the game. There are very few things that I think are more beautiful than hearing passionate Argentines (are there any other kind?) talk about futbol. It was music to my ears and made me remember my mission.


I stayed there long enough that the people had to go back to work or finished their lunch and I was watching the game alone. LOL.
The Argentine flag was on the wall, people were speaking in Castellano. I loved it in there. I ordered an empanda and a lomito sandwich some soda. I just sat there, enjoying lunch and people watching and being disconnected (for a time) from choir business.

I posted about my adventure to this place and was later surprised to learn that Richard Elliot, organist for the choir, served his mission in Rosario, Argentina. I was so surprised. Anyway, we chatted for a bit about Argentina and it was great to make that connection. It's such a small world.

People would probably be surprised to learn that I am an introvert. Some would not believe that but the truth is that I enjoy being alone. I also like being lost in a new environment and just people watching. I knew for my own mental well being I would need to find times to get away and recharge in this way for me to make it through tour without having a meltdown. LOL. Don't get me wrong, I love people but I also love time alone. It's a balance for sure. 



Lines and more lines. Getting on buses takes time and patience.

Riding buses something we do and it provides everyone with an opportunity to make new friends.
Our performance at the Hall was a real treat. I stood by my friend Paul, who is a true friend. The Hall is beautiful. It reminded me of a beautiful version of a spaceship from a movie set.




Here is our rehearsal. We run through a soundcheck before every concert to run a sound check and to get accustomed to the environment. This is us during Betelehemu.

I'm on the balcony, second row up, second person from the edge of the aisle in the blue shirt.

The first concert of the tour was exciting. I think we run on pure adrenaline and we are so focused.

At the performance.
The audience was great. They received us enthusiastically. I remember standing there during the second portion of the program and looking out at the audience and thinking how lucky I am to be a part of this.

There are moments when I am reminded of the blessing it has been to do this and to travel and sing in such beautiful places for people all around the world. I felt grateful.

There is something unique about having experiences like this that boost your overall mood. We traveled back to the hotel by bus but a few of us felt hungry so we walked in the late hours to a nearby gas station for something to munch on and enjoy. The walk was fun and the company was great. Paul (who I stood by at the concert) and I talked a bit about life, business, work and family. It's in these moments that I realize what wonderful people I associate in this organization.

Grabbing treats after a fun concert.
Concert nights are great nights and it's a blessing to share this experience with such wonderful people. The next night is another concert, at Disney Hall. Yup, two concerts in two days. What a way to start the 2018 tour.

Upon leaving the hall after the concert I took this picture. It was a magical night in many ways and the beauty of the hall was something I did not want to forget. It was a beautiful way to end the evening.



Popular Posts