Tour - San Francisco (experiences)


This is a highlight of different things I did in San Francisco. Not everything, just highlights but it is long. 

After our short stay in Costa Mesa, California, we took buses to San Francisco where we would remain for around eight days. The bus ride was long and during the initial part of the trip they the video we (the missionary committee) put together with the kind generosity of Mark Williams and Preston Tenney. Without those two brothers, the video would have been completed but not as well as it was done with the editing of these two.

I wish I could share what was on the video, but it is private for choir tour only. There's nothing secret on it but a lot of private jokes and choir memories on there that are only meant for choir tour.

Again, that video would not have been possible without the generous sacrifice of Preston and Mark. They stayed at my house and edited that video for a few days, staying overnight at times. This type of dedication and support from these two are an example of the type of people in the choir. My hats off to them. These two are the real MVP's.

It was great fun to see people enjoy the video and it helped ease the ride to San Francisco because it was a long ride.

I have been to San Francisco many times. The city is fun and there is so much to do but I felt homesick. It's an interesting dynamic to be surrounded by friends and loved ones and still feel homesick. I ended up posting on Facebook if anyone in the area knew of a place where I could get some Polynesian food. What happened next was surprising and humbling. I was contacted by phone call from people in San Francisco saying they were going to bring me a plate of food. What the?

What made it even more amazing is that we arrived on the week of the Gay Pride Parade and it was a busy time downtown and yet, these kind brothers and sisters came and dropped off Tongan food for me to enjoy. It's the Poly connection. I posted the following in response to this kindness.


I came back from a concert to find the food at the front desk for me. It was super late and people were tired, but I went to the lobby area where they have tables and I said a prayer of thanks and then ate and I felt like I was home. Have you seen the Disney movie, Ratatouille? The part where the critic takes a bite of his meal and he is transported to his childhood? It was exactly like that. I would take a bite, get emotional, take another bite, weep a little and then keep going. Hoi.

It's hard to explain but I grew up around Tongans and in my culture so if I am away from it for a while, I get homesick. Especially if I'm away and surrounded by people who are not Polynesian. It's just a Poly thing, I guess. I think the Lord knew this about me when I served my mission in Argentina. I arrived in my first area and as soon as I got off the bus my zone leader, Elder Christensen, said to me, "Hey, are you Tongan?" I said, "Yes." and he said, "Me too. I was born in Tonga!" He was Caucasian on the outside but he was Tongan. He was the son of the Mission President and I felt like we had a connection. These interesting connections helped me feel at home and now it was happening on choir tour.

Anyway, I feel so blessed to make these connections.

During our first dinner in San Francisco we went to get desserts and we found that they ran out. We talked to the waiter and made a connection and while we were sitting there after dinner, she showed up with a plate of freshly baked cookies just for our table. It was so kind. I hugged her... I'm a hugger, so.... Isn't that so kind? She didn't have to do that but she did and I was grateful.
 One of the benefits of going on tour with so many people, you are bound to find someone or a group of people that want to do the same things you want to do. Having been to San Francisco before, I really didn't care to do much so I found a friend and we went to the wax museum. Yes, I love wax museums. I think they are fascinating. It was fun. Afterward we decided to go the "The Stinking Rose" restaurant. A restaurant where they "season their garlic with food." LOL.
Me and Hitch.
Me and Audrey Hepburn. She's real Hollywood glamour.
Bret and Hitchcock. Psycho.


Me and Taylor Swift. 

Al Capone during visiting hours in Alcatraz.







At Ghiradelli Square. Got free chocolate... twice, because I went in line again. Fun place to visit.

Our Lyft driver. Using Lyft was a great way to get around the city.
This restaurant brags using more than 3,000 pounds of garlic every month. 

This restaurant has the longest garlic braid in the world. It meanders throughout the restaurant for a long time. Kinda crazy.

They served this with bread. It was their version of butter. The garlic here is so soft, it spreads on the bread like butter. Very smooth. It was delicious. I was shocked that it wasn't strong. In fact, the garlic was a little sweet but not not garlicky at all. It was delicious. I want to make this at home.

My meal. Chicken, potatos and garlic. It was delicious.

Garlic ice cream... yeah, it was interesting. I wouldn't have it again but I'm glad I tried it.



 I was also able to go sailing. One of my choir friends has a nephew that is a sailor in the Bay. He took a few of us on the boat to sail around. It was a fun, enjoyable trip. There were two boats with us. Arthur's nephew was very nice. We enjoyed the views and learning more about the area from a local.

One of my favorite memories was actually sitting on the boat and talking to choir members I don't really know and getting to know them. It is amazing to hear their stories and know more about them. We see each other but we don't really talk and tour is great for this kind of interaction.


This is Arthur. It was Arthur's nephew who set this up for us. So grateful for him. We joined the choir at the same time so our experiences with the choir are similar as we have done the same events. Arthur is a friend to everyone and I'm glad I know him.


Arthur Newell, Brother and Sister Newell and their nephew who was our captain. Family portrait.





It was a great day for sailing.


After arriving at the port, the two boats docked and these choir folks went to the bow and began singing the Titanic theme song. Oh, the hilariousness of these people. We are of the same tribe. Yup, definitely the same tribe.
One evening I went to a Giants game. Oh, yes, it was super fun. I enjoyed it immensely. It was also fun to fun into other choir members all over the stadium. 

By the way, we had dinner here and ate a dungeonous crab sandwich... mmmmmm. It was delicous. 


Bret, Me and Paul outside the stadium. As you can tell, it was chilly. They are wearing coats. I would eventually buy a Giants jacket at the stadium as a souvenir. 
 I ended up posting the following about the game on Facebook. It was a funny exchange I had with her when I bought my Giants jacket and hat. It was a great night.


As you can tell, one of us is sillier than the other. Yeah, that would be me. LOL. I love these guys. They put up with my shenanigans.

From our seats. Our seats were great and we were right in front of other choir members. I knew this because I stood up and someone heckled me to sit down and when I turned around, there was a large group there laughing. Oh, I love my choir friends.


After the game. Leaving to walk back to the hotel. It was a great night.

This was our hotel.

Some of the other things I did that I didn't mention are going to a karaoke/piano bar, hitting a museum, going to a thrift shop, shopping and relaxing at the hotel (which to be honest, was one of my favorite things to do because it was relaxing).

I did serve the sacrament during Sunday meetings here and we were in town for the Gay Pride Parade. It was fun to see all the different people coming to celebrate Pride all around the city. A lot of expression, color, costumes and people.

If we were in a different city that I hadn't been to before, I probably would have run around to see everything but I've already seen most things so it was nice to take it easy.

Popular Posts